ROBIN and Sue Edwards recently sold a four double-bedroom detached family home in Charvil, offering spacious and flexible living accommodation
ROBIN and Sue Edwards recently sold a four double-bedroom detached family home in Charvil, offering spacious and flexible living accommodation with five reception rooms and two bathrooms.
The property was set in generous grounds with driveway parking for numerous cars and an integral garage.
1. How did you decide on which agent to use?
We wanted a smaller local agent as we felt the personal service they could offer would suit us better than the larger agents.
Using Mullies fulfilled this requirement, added to which they were the most cost-effective of those we interviewed.
2. What are the most important requirements in selecting an agent?
Personal one-point contact and sufficient involvement to ensure the vendor is kept right up-to-date with developments as well as a high local profile, indicated by a high number of “for sale” and “sold” signs in the area.
3. How long did it take to secure a sale?
About six weeks.
4. Were you happy with the details put together by your agent?
Yes, although not sure the “video walk through” is such a good idea unless done professionally.
5. Did they have a lot of viewings — and were you kept updated on feedback from those viewings?
We only had four viewings and feedback was more than acceptable.
6. How important do you think it is it to receive feedback after a viewing?
Very. There are a lot of time-wasters out there who seem to treat house viewing as a useful pastime for a wet weekend!
7. Did you conduct viewings yourself or did your agent do it for you?
We carried out the viewings ourselves.
With all due respect to the agents, we felt we were better placed to sell the features of our property.
8. Did you change anything based on feedback?
No — other than to reduce the level of optimism following each viewing.
9. How did you prepare your house for sale? Did you decorate, de-clutter, etc?
Yes. We went to great pains to make the property nice. We attended to little defects and did some paint jobs where necessary.
We also made sure it was very tidy and uncluttered, but without making the house look un-homely or not lived in.
10. What prompted your move and how many times have you moved?
We were downsizing due to retirement with a need for less space.
The move also released some capital as a substitute to the government’s raid on pensions. We had not moved for 30 years!
11. Was selling your home a positive experience?
Yes, less painful than we had anticipated but still emotionally stressful after 30 years as the family home.
12. Are there any other comments you would like to make about the service you received?
We were very pleased with the service we received from Mullies not only with our sale but also in the finding of a replacement property.
We’re not thinking of moving again, but if we were we would not hesitate to use them again and to recommend them to friends. In fact, we have already done so!
In a new series, we take a look at the experience people have using estate agents when they move and what they look for when engaging the services of an agent. This week, Robin and Sue Edwards take us through their recent move, their first in 30 years, with the help of Mullie estate agents.