Monday, 11 December 2017

Henley Residents unite to support Typhoon Haiyan appeal

A SEARCH and rescue crew from Henley has travelled to the Philippines to help those hit by Typhoon Haiyan.

A SEARCH and rescue crew from Henley has travelled to the Philippines to help those hit by Typhoon Haiyan.

Eight members of the Emergency Response Team, which is based at Henley Business School, arrived in the devastated country on Tuesday.

They will provide medical care to some of the estimated 12,000 people injured in the disaster.

The team, which is led by paramedic Gary Foo, from Shiplake, have joined up with a Canadian aid team and will stay in the Philippines for at least 10 days.

Jonathan Cox, trustee of the group, said: ?They may do some search and rescue but it will be mostly medical care. People can die as a result of a cut finger there so it?s quite important.

?They have taken generators and medical packs with them. All our guys are well experienced and know what to expect. Most have done deployments before and some are on their first deployment but everyone is trained and experienced.

?It?s all about the dedication of these people who have the desire to go and help and the ability to do so. ?If they save one life out there you can?t put a price on it.?

The Emergency Response Team was founded in 2002 and registered as a charity in 2004 as it is funded by donations.

It's members are trained volunteers and in recent years they have provided help in Pakistan, Haiti and New York as well as working on domestic emergencies such as floods and search and rescues.

Meanwhile, events were held across Henley at the weekend to raise money for the Philippines Typhoon Appeal.

The British Red Cross held a collection outside the Tesco store in Reading Road on Saturday and Sunday as part of a nationwide effort.

Rebecca McIlhone, from the charity, said: ?We had six volunteers in Henley on Saturday and part of Sunday collecting for the appeal. We haven?t been able to count up the individual buckets yet but the total raised in Oxfordshire was £3,600.

?The response has been amazing and there have been cases in other parts of the country of people dropping £100 in the bucket. Our buckets are averaging around £250, which is great but means they are sometimes too heavy to carry!?

Reading band The Fourbury donated the proceeds from their gig at Lovibonds in Market Place on Friday to the Disasters Emergency Committee?s Philippines appeal.

The band, comprising guitarists Nick Wills and Brendan Melck, bassist Jon Mackley and drummer Palli Juliusson, raised £167 through bar sales and a collection bucket by the stage.

Mr Wills, 43, from Twyford, said: ?When we saw the pictures from the Philippines it was a no-brainer really. Some of the images were awful and we had to do something, so the obvious thing was to turn the gig into a fund-raiser. When I proposed it to the rest of the band they immediately said ?yes?.

?People were very generous. We had a good night and played well and this was our reward from the audience.?

Last week, Live Aid organiser Peter Burness-Smith, who lives in Henley, urged the town council to donate £4million to the Philippines appeal. In a poll at www.henleystandard.co.uk, 35% per cent of respondents agreed with him.

More News:

Latest video from

Youngsters dazzle at music competition
 

POLL: Have your say