Saturday, 22 September 2018

Youth Centre site not put forward

THE trustees of Henley Youth Centre refused to put the site forward for the neighbourhood plan.

As the Henley Standard revealed last week, the Deanfield Avenue centre is to close and the site to be sold.

The Thamesfield Youth Association, which runs it, says it can no longer afford the running costs following the withdrawal of a £25,000-a-year grant from Oxfordshire County Council. Clive Wilkinson, chairman of trustees, said the association declined requests from former mayor Barry Wood to put the site forward for the plan last year because it then still hoped to save the centre.

He said: “Mr Wood asked me quite insistently but we were trying to be as positive as we could.

“If we had put ourselves forward we would have lost any chances of making any money.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death
 

POLL: Have your say