OUR May meeting was an illustrated talk on St George’s Chapel, Windsor, by Leslie Grout, a local historian and Windsor Castle guide.
The south side has the ornate “show” front as seen by visitors when they approach through the Henry VIII gate.
In recent years the stone has been cleaned and the weather vanes and similar items re-gilded.
On the west end, the range of steps was only added in the 19th century, in time for the marriage of Princess Louise.
The north is the “working” side of the chapel and so it is not elaborate as the south.
Begun in the reign of Edward IV in 1475, the chapel took about 50 years to complete.
Leslie gave us a “tour” of the chapel, noting many of the interesting memorials and other features. She also talked about the Knights of the Garter, whose spiritual home is at the chapel.