Sunday, 24 June 2018

£50,000 raised for makeover of old clubhouse

A CLUBHOUSE used by AFC Henley is about to be refurbished following the removal of asbestos.

A CLUBHOUSE used by AFC Henley is about to be refurbished following the removal of asbestos.

The facilities in Harpsden have been out of commission for two years after the material was discovered.

It was removed by the John Hodges Trust for Harpsden Hall, which owns the site and leases it to AFC Henley, at a cost of £10,000.

Trevor Howell, the club’s vice-chairman, has since fundraised more than £50,000 for the project which will see two changing rooms, an official’s changing room, showers and toilets brought back into use.

The work, which will include provision for disabled access, will begin in the next few months.



Dieter Hinke, the club’s chairman, said the refurbishment was “fantastic news”, saying: “We have continued to use the pitch, which is probably the best in Henley, but it has been limited because we have no access to water, toilets and heat but now we can look forward to using it again.”

Mr Howell added: “The refurbished building will not only enable AFC Henley to provide first-class facilities for its U16-U18 squads and visiting teams but will also make the ground a more viable events venue for the Harpsden community.”

Rod Birkett, chairman of the John Hodges Trust for Harpsden Hall, said: “We are the freeholder and so therefore we are keen to see our freehold assets updated to modern standards.

“We are keen to provide good sporting facilities particularly for the young and are very much to the benefit of AFC Henley and we are very supportive of it.”

The trust has committed up to £8,750 for the rebuilding project while Henley Town Council has pledged £6,000 and Invesco Perpetual £500.

South Oxfordshire District Council has pledged up to a maximum of £15,000 and the Football Foundation has offered up to a maximum of £21,682 from the Premier League and The FA Facilities Fund.

The latter award is subject to the lease to AFC Henley being extended beyond August 2023, which the trust has agreed to. The Oxfordshire Football Association is also supporting the project.

The his is the latest sports facility refurbishment in Harpsden since the reopening of the village cricket club by former England cricketer Angus Fraser in April last year following an extension and landscaping work worth £185,000.

The refurbishment, which included moving the cricket square 15 metres away from the road to provide a flatter playing area, was also funded by the trust, which owns the club site, Sport England, Oxfordshire County Council, the district council, fundraising event and individual donations.

The cricket club now has larger home and away changing rooms, a larger dining area and new kitchen.



Ends





A CLUBHOUSE used by AFC Henley is to be refurbished following the removal of asbestos.

The facilities in Harpsden have been out of commission for two years after the potentially dangerous material was discovered.

It was removed by the John Hodges Trust for Harpsden Hall, which owns the site and leases it to the football club.

A fund-raising campaign led by Trevor Howell, the club’s vice-chairman, made more than £50,000 for the refurbishment project, which will begin later this year.

Two changing rooms, an official’s changing room, showers and toilets will be brought back into use and provision will be made for disabled access.

Mr Howell said: “The refurbished building will not only enable AFC Henley to provide first-class facilities for its U16 to U18 squads and visiting teams but will also make the ground a more viable events venue for the Harpsden community.” Club chairman Dieter Hinke said: “We have continued to use the pitch, which is probably the best in Henley, but it has been limited because we have had no access to water, toilets and heating.

“Now we can look forward to using it again.”

Rod Birkett, chairman of the John Hodges Trust for Harpsden Hall, said: “We are the freeholder and so we are keen to see our freehold assets updated to modern standards.

“We are keen to provide good sporting facilities, particularly for the young and very much to the benefit of AFC Henley, and we are very supportive of the refurbishment.”

The trust has committed up to £8,750 to the project while the Football Foundation has offered up to a maximum of £21,682 from the Premier League and the FA Facilities Fund subject to the club’s lease being extended beyond August 2023, which the trust has agreed to.

South Oxfordshire District Council has pledged up to £15,000 and Henley Town Council has pledged £6,000. Invesco Perpetual will contribute £500.

The Oxfordshire Football Association is also supporting the project.

The refurbishment comes less than a year after the re-opening of Harpsden Cricket Club’s pavilion following an extension and landscaping work that cost £185,000.

The work, which included moving the cricket square 15m away from the road to provide a flatter playing area, was also funded by the trust, which owns the site, Sport England, Oxfordshire County Council and the district council as well as fund-raising events and donations.

The new-look pavilion, which has a bigger dining area, a new kitchen and larger changing rooms, was officially re-opened by former England cricketer Angus Fraser.

FIVE members of the 2nd Goring and Streatley British boys’ and girls’ scout group have received the organisation’s top award.

Patrol leaders Oscar Clark and Abigail Papierowski and patrol seconders Robbie Albinson-Watters, Sebastian Avery and William Hathaway, all 15, have earned the scout cord.

To gain the award they had to earn badges in skills including first aid, camping, hiking, map reading, tying knots, tree recognition, swimming, tracking and outdoor survival.

They then had to hike 14 miles over two days in an unfamiliar area and make an overnight camp where they had to cook their own food.

The teenagers collected their cords just before Christmas at a ceremony attended by friends, relatives and former scouts.

The presentations were made by senior scout patrol leader Jack Papierowski, the last scout from the group to receive the award, and Lisa Chaplin, who was awarded the cord in 1992.

Group scout master David Cooksley said: “Very well done to all five. It is rare that such an award is gained by one scout in a troop but to gain five is remarkable, a great achievement. There are many skills to be learned and be proficient in before you obtain the scout cord.

“It is fair to say that the standards required are far greater than most leaders’ abilities in other scouting associations who now see no worth in learning these basic scouting skills.”

The presentation was attended by families and friends and other previous holders of the scout cord, including Gareth James (2010), Mark Moss (1999), Edward Walters (1992) and Robin Cooksley (1992), who now lives in North Carolina.

A cake was made for the occasion and entertainment was provided by scout magician Sparky.

Mr Cooksley said: “We also had traditional scouting games for all to join in and an excellent presentation on our project for 2016 of going to Uganda to extend a school that the scouts built in 2010.”

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death
 

POLL: Have your say