MORE than 2,000 lights were used to illuminate Watlington’s White Mark as the community celebrated its 250th anniversary.
The mark was cut into Watlington Hill in 1764 by Rev Edward Horne to give the illusion of Watlington’s church’s having a spire.
The shape was designed so it appeared above the parish church of St Leonard when viewed from his house.
About 200 people visited throughout Saturday, when the mark was given a facelift by volunteers re-chalking it. Visitors could make creatures and mosaic pictures from chalk thanks to Fiona Danks and Jo Schofield, from outdoor activity company Going Wild.
There were other activities, including marshmallow toasting and shelter-making.