Sunday, 20 August 2017

Trees wouldn’t go to make way for houses

A BUSINESSMAN has hit back at residents who criticised his plans for five new homes

A BUSINESSMAN has hit back at residents who criticised his plans for five new homes in Watlington saying two mature trees will not be cut down.

Errol Facy has applied for permission to develop in the grounds of Ingham House, off Brook Street, and to amend an access. Residents of Brook Street claimed the development would result in the loss of trees and affect road safety.

But Mr Facy told a meeting of Watlington Parish Council: “We don’t need to replace any trees. The two that were questionable can, in fact, remain. Only the very old apple trees will be coming out.”

Mr Facy, owner of a Henley department store, said that Oxfordshire County Council, the highways authority, had not objected, providing the existing access was improved and a turning area and parking spaces were provided.

Last month, the parish council’s planning committee objected to the scheme.



It said: “The benefit of the provision of housing on the site is strongly outweighed by material harm to the conservation area and to the significant loss of biodiversity which would result from the development.

“There are concerns about access, egress and vision splays, loss of mature trees and unneighbourly development.”



More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: WW2 battles relived at Mapledurham
 

POLL: Have your say