Monday, 23 October 2017

Councillors to finally consider 20mph zones

THE first 20mph zones could be introduced in Henley more than 10 years after they were

THE first 20mph zones could be introduced in Henley more than 10 years after they were first suggested.

Town and county councillor David Nimmo Smith and his former county colleague Peter Skolar first made the proposal in 2005.

Cllr Nimmo Smith told a meeting of the town council last week that he had persuaded Oxfordshire County Council, the highways authority, to consider the idea.

He added: “I know that there are people who will say that it will make air pollution worse but I want to make sure that there is a consultation on what people think.”

He said traffic counts and speed surveys would need to be carried out at a cost of about £2,000.



“The total cost might be about £40,000. It is not just getting the traffic regulation order but there will be lots of little repeater signs around.” Cllr Nimmo Smith said drivers in St Andrew’s Road, where he lives, often broke the speed limit at night.

“This time of year I sleep with the windows open,” he said. “Sometimes I am woken up by cars doing more than 30mph, probably more than 60mph at times.”

Councillor Stefan Gawrysiak welcomed the idea but called on Cllr Nimmo-Smith to persuade the county council of the need for more pedestrian crossings in Henley and to implement a seven-and-a-half-tonne weight limit.

In March, a 20mph speed limit came into force on several roads in Shiplake. The restriction applies to all residential streets off the A4155 and replaces the previous limit of 30mph.

Shiplake Parish Council voted for the £3,500 scheme despite a survey carried out the county council which showed only six out of 48 respondents were in favour.



More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: WW2 battles relived at Mapledurham
 

POLL: Have your say