Monday, 18 December 2017

Finally, bollards are replaced

DAMAGED bollards in Henley town centre have been replaced.

DAMAGED bollards in Henley town centre have been replaced.

The metal posts which lined one side of the one-way road through Market Place had been hit by vehicles. Oxfordshire County Council contractors have spent two weeks installing the replacements.

Town and county councillor David Nimmo Smith said: “They are highly visible at night and are at a height where both drivers and pedestrians will see them.

“The style is in keeping with them being in a conservation area which enhances the town scene. Two spare bollards will be kept by the town council.” The original 29 black posts were installed too close to the road, so the county council agreed to move them at a cost of £12,000.

It then shelved this plan because the work would disturb telephone cables under the pavement and agreed to replace the bollards instead.

Dieter Hinke, who chairs the town council’s planning committee, said he was “very happy” with the new bollards which he asked for last year.

He said: “I am still concerned that we have lorries parking on the verges in Market Place and I do not want these nice new bollards to be damaged. We have got to look after them.”

More News:

Latest video from

Youngsters dazzle at music competition
 

POLL: Have your say