Monday, 23 October 2017

Raised patio has destroyed our privacy, say neighbours

NEIGHBOURS have objected to a planning application for a new raised patio that has already been built.

NEIGHBOURS have objected to a planning application for a new raised patio that has already been built.

Sean Farley, from Windsor, applied for permission for the patio at a house in Leaver Road, Henley, in May and indicated that work had already started.

Now residents have written to South Oxfordshire District Council complaining that they have lost their privacy.

Alexandra and Steven Hawkins, who live next door, said: “The patio area overlooks number 19 and ours. There is no privacy from this patio at all.

“It has not been built well and is already sinking. Does this mean more drainage problems for number 19 as well as our shared car park?

“I urge the council to look at this build.”

Maggie Fogarty, also of Leaver Road, said: “The raised patio is directly behind my rear fence and due to the sloping nature of this area, this property is already substantially higher up the hill than my own. From the applicant’s side, the top of my fence is now only 80cm above the paved area.

“This has destroyed the privacy I once had in my garden and the rooms to the rear of my house. It has also negated the security provided by a normal height boundary fence.

“Currently, the applicant has temporarily propped fence panels against my fence to mitigate this but these could be removed in seconds.

“I would like assurances that any accumulated water from the site will not run into my property and cause damage as the majority of the small garden plot has now been sealed by impermeable structures.”

Claire Smith, another neighbour, said: “It is substantially higher than the surrounding area and therefore any privacy there had been for the rear gardens of numbers 19 and 39 has been severely compromised.

“I also believe that the considerably elevated height of the patio poses a security issue, especially at number 19, as anyone could easily climb over the fencing if they so desired.”

Henley Town Council’s planning committee has recommended that the application is refused for being unneighbourly and due to concerns about security and drainage.

Chairman Dieter Hinke said: “The patio has been built and those neighbours now have people peering over their garden fence. It doesn’t seem right.”

Councillor Sam Evans said: “They have put up a temporary fence to make things a little bit better but I assume it is a persuasion tactic.”

The district council will make a final decision by August 20.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: WW2 battles relived at Mapledurham
 

POLL: Have your say