Sunday, 22 October 2017

Take care with an open fire

FIREFIGHTERS are urging people to take extra care while trying to keep warm this winter.

FIREFIGHTERS are urging people to take extra care while trying to keep warm this winter.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service has dealt with 148 chimney fires in the county so far this year and says many of these could have been prevented.

Stuart Garner, home and community safety manager, said: “A roaring fire may be a welcoming sight but it is essential that it is contained using a British Standard guard and that chimneys are swept at least once a year.

“Householders should also get their chimney breast inspected, particularly in the roof space, by a competent engineer to make sure it is structurally sound. This avoids the risk of sparks, fumes or fire escaping through cracks, and is particularly important in thatched properties.

“Portable heaters should be unplugged before people go to sleep and clothing should never be dried on them.

“Hot water bottles should not be used in the same bed as an electric blanket, which should be turned off before someone gets into bed unless it’s designed to be left on and checked regularly for wear and tear.”

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: WW2 battles relived at Mapledurham
 

POLL: Have your say