Wednesday, 18 October 2017

Builders’ vehicles ‘would make junction dangerous’

A ROAD junction in Peppard could become dangerous if a housing development goes ahead, claims a

A ROAD junction in Peppard could become dangerous if a housing development goes ahead, claims a resident.

T A Fisher, of Theale, has applied for planning permission to demolish a two-bedroom house in Stoke Row Road and extend a four-bedroom house as well as building two four-bedroom homes.

Peppard Parish Council has supported the plans.

But Keith Darvill, who lives in Butlers Yard, opposite the site, believes the building work could cause problems at the junction with Peppard Hill, a few yards away.

Mr Darvill said: “The current development next to this site has caused serious traffic danger with contractors’ vehicles parked and obstructing nearby streets and on the junction with the B481. There’s a serious risk of traffic accidents on the junction.



“A condition of this new development application should be that all contractors’ vehicles are parked and contained on site and not on nearby streets.”

Mr Darvill was one of a group of residents who wanted yellow lines put in Blounts Court Road and at the junction to increase visibility.

However, the plans were shelved after the cost of the work was revealed to be more than £5,000. Mr Darvill added: “This is a definite requirement now if further development is going ahead and the funding of double yellow lines should be included in the conditions for this proposal.”

Current access to the houses is via Peppard Hill but the developer wants to move this to Stoke Row Road.

The application’s design and access statement, compiled by Tony Thorpe Associates, says: “The approved outline access would be difficult to access from the north via Peppard Hill.

“The revised access allows vehicles entering and leaving the site via Stoke Row Road, Peppard Hill, Blounts Court Road and Gravel Hill to do so safely without disrupting the free flow of traffic.”

Meawhile, the feedback on Sonning Common’s neighbourhood plan is said to have been positive. A public meeting was held last month where feedback forms on plans to increase the number of new houses in the plan from 137 to about 193 were given out.

Barrie Greenwood, chairman of the neighbourhood plan working group, said: “We were pleasantly surprised at the support towards us and the reasons for increasing the allocation.

“We’re on target to start the next stage of our consultation process. There will be no exhibition but we will email the 800 people on our list and there will be posters around the village.”

He said it was hoped to start a six-week public consultation this month with a view to sending the revised plan to the planning inspector in February and holding a referendum in May or June next year.



More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: WW2 battles relived at Mapledurham
 

POLL: Have your say