SOME people in South Oxfordshire may not have been able to vote at the general election
SOME people in South Oxfordshire may not have been able to vote at the general election due to short-staffed polling stations, according to an official report.
The report by the Electoral Commission found that South Oxfordshire District Council had failed to meet national standards after voters at two stations in Didcot faced “significant” waits on May 7.
As a result, counts for three constituencies, including Henley, were held up and there were also delays in the district council counts. The final general election results were not announced until 7am the following day.
The report, presented to the councils earlier this month, said returning officer David Buckle had failed to meet performance standards on allocation of staff to polling stations and that the impact on electors was Â “significant”.
Mr Buckle, who is also chief executive of the distric council, admitted that the counts finished later than expected but said that otherwise the elections ran well.
He also said January’s arson attack on the counci’sl offices in Crowmarsh Gifford affected the counts.