PLANS to demolish the former Henley Youth Centre have been approved by South Oxfordshire District Council.
B&M care, which bought the site in Deanfield Avenue last year, wants to clear the land to make way for a new 60-bed care home. A planning application is due to be submitted shortly.
The demolition work is due to start on February 1 and last eight weeks. The care home would take another 12 to 18 months to build.
The youth centre closed more than a year ago and the £3million sale of the land was completed in August. The sale included a derelict plot behind the centre which was owned by The Henley College.
At the time, B&M Care’s project manager James Bradshaw said the plan was to erect a “landmark” building.
The site is included in the joint Henley and Harpsden neighbourhood plan, which says it could accommodate 23 new homes.