Monday, 11 December 2017

Mews redevelopment finally set to go ahead

A MAJOR redevelopment in Henley town centre is finally set to begin later this year.

A MAJOR redevelopment in Henley town centre is finally set to begin later this year.

The overhaul of Market Place Mews has been anticipated for several years but has suffered repeated setbacks.

The land used to be owned by the DeStefano Property Group, parent company of London and Henley Properties, which had planning permission to redevelop the mews into 14 flats and 16,000 sq ft of retail space.

But last year the company went into administration and the site was sold to asset managers Catalyst Capital as part of a £55million deal for 19 former DeStefano properties across the south.

Now the new owner wants to go ahead with the same plans, which were approved by South Oxfordshire District Council in 2007.



Deputy Mayor Julian Brookes, who has been briefed by Catalyst Capital, told a council meeting that the company wanted the work to begin in the late summer and it would take about 18 months. “Clearly they are going to invest a significant amount of money to develop this space using the existing planning permission,” he said.

Councillor Ian Reissmann said: “We should certainly be engaging with the developer in order to try to understand what’s being proposed.”

Last month florist Stemtation left the Mews after 13 years, saying the redevelopment was imminent. Kathryn Hammant, 41, from Sonning Common, and her business partner Eric Miche, 42, now sell flowers only online.

A spokeswoman for the district council said: “Planning permission was originally granted in 2007 and this permission can be carried over if the developer follows the originally approved details.

“We have not received any proposals that differ from the approved plans.”

Catalyst Capital declined to comment.



More News:

Latest video from

Youngsters dazzle at music competition
 

POLL: Have your say