Saturday, 23 September 2017

School places to be announced

FAMILIES with children due to start primary school in September will receive an offer of a place next week.

FAMILIES with children due to start primary school in September will receive an offer of a place next week.

Letters will be sent by first class post to parents on Tuesday. Families who applied online will receive an email.

Oxfordshire County Council says that as it has increased primary school capacity in recent years so the vast majority of families will get their stated preferences.

In September, there were 161 first preference applications for 165 reception places at Henley?s four primary schools.

Trinity primary has already agreed to take extra pupils and Badgemore is to be extended at a cost of £430,000. In the first phase of the development, a new foundation classroom will be built and a new outdoor area will be created. This should be completed by September.

Badgemore will then be able to take up to 30 new children a year rather than its current limit of 15, making it the same size as the other three primaries. The second phase will include a new school hall and two new classrooms and is due to be complete by September 2015.

Last year, the county council offered 85.25 per cent of families applying on time a place at their first choice school and 6.12 per cent a place at their second choice.

Twenty-nine primary schools in the county have been expanded by at least half a form ? the equivalent of 15 children per year group ? in the last three years and another 16 schools have been expanded permanently by smaller amounts.

More than 500 additional reception places have also been created.

There are more than 8,000 primary school entry places available for 2013 across Oxfordshire and so far the council has received 7,341 applications, including 122 received after the January deadline.

Roy Leach, the council?s school organisation and planning manager, said: ?Oxfordshire has seen a significant rise in the number of children reaching primary school age in recent years and a lot of work has taken place to ensure we are in a position to offer places to all children who need them and, wherever possible, at schools of their families? choosing.

?Inevitably, where applications for particular schools exceed available spaces, we won?t be able to give every family the news they are hoping for. In such circumstances an appeal process is available and details of this will be included in the offer letters.?

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: WW2 battles relived at Mapledurham
 

POLL: Have your say