Tuesday, 19 September 2017

Further delay for The Heights permanent home

A PRIMARY school in Caversham is unlikely to move to its permanent home by September 2017 as planned, the Henley Standard can exclusively reveal

A PRIMARY school in Caversham is unlikely to move to its permanent home by September 2017 as planned, the Henley Standard can exclusively reveal.

The Heights Primary School is currently based at temporary accommodation off Gosbrook Road in Lower Caversham and a permanent facility is set to be built on Mapledurham Playing Fields.

But this week parents have been told about the delay following discussions with the Education Funding Agency, which is paying for the free school, which opened in Setpember 2014.

This is likely to have ramifications for the school at its temporary site, particularly with the limits on space there.

A spokesman for The Heights said: “Following the consultation last year, the decision was taken to pursue Mapledurham playing fields as the permanent home for the school.

“The intention was to be in our new permanent home by September 2017.

“However, based on information supplied by the Education Funding Agency just before Christmas and the discussions that we have had with them, we have now reached the opinion that this timescale is unlikely to be achieved.

“We felt it was important to share this information and its implications with parents, who have been contacted this week.

“Various survey works commenced on Mapledurham Playing Fields before Christmas and are due to be completed this month.

“Once these are completed, we will be in a better position to provide more detail on the plans for the school on Mapledurham playing fields and the benefits that it can bring for the wider community.

“The local community will be invited to have their say at this time. Following this, we will have a much better idea of the likely timescales for delivery of what will be a fantastic new community resource.”

The school said details of the consultation events will be shared in due course and made available online at www.anewhomefortheheights.com

In September planning permission was granted by Reading Borough Council to construct a first floor at the temporary site and this was completed in October.

At the time the trustees requested that the temporary permission at the site be extended from August 2016 to August 2018.

The Heights’ headeacher Karen Edwards talks about the success of the school in a special new feature in this week’s Henley Standard.



More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: WW2 battles relived at Mapledurham
 

POLL: Have your say