THE Oratory School came into being on May 1, 1859. It was founded by Blessed John Henry Newman —
THE Oratory School came into being on May 1, 1859. It was founded by Blessed John Henry Newman — popularly known as Cardinal Newman — at the request of a group of eminent Catholic laymen in order to provide a boarding school for boys run on English public school principles for the small English Catholic community of the time.
As a Catholic independent all-boys boarding and day school, the Oratory is a friendly, purposeful community dedicated to the growth of the individual within society.
The school believes each boy should develop his own individuality, fulfilling his own potential as a confident and integrated young man. The school motto “Cor ad cor loquitur’ (“heart speaking to heart’) underlines this.
The school is situated in acres of beautiful English countryside with easy access to motorways and airports. Visit the Oratory, the only all-boys Catholic senior independent day and boarding school in the country, and enjoy the incredible Chilterns estate that surrounds it.
The Oratory School is a member of the Headmasters’ Conference, the Catholic Independent Schools Conference and the International Boys’ Schools Coalition.