FOUNDED by Cardinal John Henry Newman, the Oratory Preparatory School, including the pre-preparatory department, is a
FOUNDED by Cardinal John Henry Newman, the Oratory Preparatory School, including the pre-preparatory department, is a Catholic day and boarding school for just over 400 boys and girls aged two to 13.
It traces its lineage to its affiliated school, the all-boys The Oratory School, located nearby. The original school was founded on May 1, 1859, “for the education of [Catholic] boys not destined to ecclesiastical estate”.
Today the prep school is a separate entity from its brother school. Both are part of the Oratory Schools Association and share a chair of governors.
The preparatory school moved to its current site in 1969 and is located in 60 acres of grounds, amidst open countryside and woodland overlooking the Thames Valley, close to Reading.
The “prep” part of the school begins in year three, as the children move on from pre-prep and some new pupils join the children.
There are usually three classes in each year group from year three to year eight, when the majority of pupils move on to the senior school. Within our school community, we aim to provide a full and rewarding education by cultivating wide interests and individual gifts in a happy, relaxed atmosphere.
While academic success is at the heart of what we are trying to achieve through the basic curriculum of the core and foundation subjects of the national curriculum, it is through the whole school curriculum, which consists of every activity planned by the school, that we hope to prepare our pupils in the broadest possible sense.
Every aspect of the wide and varied programme we offer will play a part in the overall development of each child.