Monday, 18 December 2017

Henley brought to standstill by Cau blaze

Roads have reopened after being closed while firefighters tackled a blaze in the rear storage area of a Henley restaurant.

A FIRE ripped through a storage area at a Henley steak restaurant today.

The blaze at Cau in Hart Street broke out at about 11.30am.


Three crews from Henley, Wargrave and Buckinghamshire were called to the scene as the fire raged and a 50ft plume of dark smoke could be seen.

The flames are believed to have been fuelled by dirty oil from the restaurant’s fryers that had been kept in the rear storage area.

The street was closed from the Henley Bridge traffic lights to the junctions with Duke Street and nearby shops and businesses were evacuated.

Gary Connery was in Thames Side when he saw the smoke and ran round to Cau to see the staff already gathered outside.

He said: "I ran through to the garden and noticed a couple of gas bottles. I moved them and did a quick assessment when I noticed it had spread to an outbuilding which looked like a refrigeration unit.

"When the fire service arrived I helped them run hoses through and briefed them on what I had seen. There was a lot of smoke."


Jasper Allden, a student at the Henley College, said: "Smoke was billowing out. It was quite dark and yellow and you could smell it - it was like burning rubber."

William Claxton, of Hart Street, said: "I was coming from the other side of town and saw black smoke when I was in Friday Street.

"I wasn't sure what was causing it but the smoke was going towards the Old Rectory. The fire engines arrived and then the police asked us to move away."

For the full story, pick up a copy of this week's Henley Standard.




More News:

Latest video from

Youngsters dazzle at music competition
 

POLL: Have your say