Open day to mark 40th anniversary of village fire station
FIREFIGHTERS staged a mock road accident rescue to mark the 40thÂ anniversary of Goring fire station.
FIREFIGHTERS staged a mock road accident rescue to mark the 40th anniversary of Goring fire station.
They cut through the body of an old Skoda estate car using power tools and removed the roof so they could pull out the “victim”, who was actually one of their colleagues.
The display outside the station in Icknield Road was part of an open day that raised £200 for the Fire Fighters Charity. Other attractions included a ladder demonstration and races where visitors could compete against the firefighters to put on fire rescue clothing and equipment as quickly as possible.
There was a football challenge where players wore “beer goggles” to blur their vision and children could get their faces painted or try squirting water with a fire hose. Visitors included former Goring crew members Ronald Goddard and Brian Joslyn and retired watch manager John Rumble.
Goring’s first fire station was built by the bridge in 1900 and moved to Red Cross Road in 1935. It moved to its current site in 1976.
There was a display of photographs of the old stations and their crews. There was also a scale model of a hand-drawn fire truck, which would have been operated by a team of six.
Station manager Marcus Reay said: “Regardless of all the changes and developments over the years, we are still a close-knit community fire station.
“We hope that came across during our open day and we would like to thank everyone across the village who supported it.”