Monday, 23 October 2017

Unattended bonfire destroys sheds

SIX garden sheds were destroyed after an unattended bonfire got out of control in Shiplake late last night

SIX garden sheds were destroyed after an unattended bonfire got out of control in Shiplake late last night.

Residents in a cul-de-sac off Memorial Avenue reported seeing 40ft flames from the garden of a house in Schoolfields, a road off Plough Lane.

They also heard loud bangs, believed to have been caused by cyclinders exploding in the heat.


Five fire crews were called to the scene at 11pm and were there until 4am today.

A spokesman for Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Servi ce said: “On arrival crews were faced with a large fire that affected approximately six sheds.

“Fire crews from Caversham Road, Goring, Henley, Bracknell and Wheatley used firefighting jets to bring the fire under control.

“The fire was started by bonfire which had been left unattended and had spread to the sheds.

“Cylinders were found in the sheds and had been involved in the fire. This meant that fire crews remained at the scene overnight to ensure that the fire had been properly extinguished and there was no further risk to the public.”


Station manager Paul Webster said: “Members of the public need to be aware of the dangers of leaving a bonfire unattended.

“Bonfires need to be placed in an appropriate area so that there is no possibility of the fire spreading to surrounding property.

“People need to ensure that they have a means to put out the fire close at hand, such as a garden hose or buckets of water, should the need arise and should never leave them unattended.

“This incident could have been avoided if these safety points had been adhered too.”




More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: WW2 battles relived at Mapledurham
 

POLL: Have your say