Saturday, 22 September 2018

Medics praised for saving baby’s life

A COUPLE have praised paramedics who saved their baby’s life after his heart stopped beating.

A COUPLE have praised paramedics who saved their baby’s life after his heart stopped beating.

Jamie McGarvey and Jodie Trevathan called 999 when two-month-old Taylor stopped breathing.

The baby regained consciousness but then went into cardiac arrest as he was being taken to hospital in an ambulance and had to be revived by the medics.

The drama began as 22-year-old Miss Trevathan was feeding Taylor at their home in Goodall Close, Henley, on Saturday morning.

She noticed his face turning blue and alerted her partner, who tried to restart the boy’s breathing by rubbing his chest. When this failed, he raised the alarm.

While waiting for help to arrive, Mr McGarvey gave Taylor mouth-to-mouth resuscitation with the guidance from the ambulance telephone operator.

An ambulance arrived within minutes, followed by a doctor and senior paramedic in two emergency response cars.

The Thames Valley and Chiltern air ambulance landed at Trinity Primary School in Vicarage Road, about half a mile away, and a passing motorist picked the medics up in a grey 4x4 and dropped them at the couple’s flat before driving off.

Mr McGarvey, 23, said: “Taylor has stopped breathing before but I normally just rub his belly and he’ll be fine. This was nothing like that — it was scary.

“The ambulance’s response was so quick that they must have gone like a bat out of hell when they got the call.

“There were suddenly loads of doctors in here at once — it all happened a bit quickly.

“As soon as they arrived, they were shouting and throwing things out of the way but that was fine by us as long as our baby was all right.

“Our four-year-old daughter Chloe was in the front room at the time — she wanted to know what was going on.”

Taylor regained consciousness and began breathing again and was taken by ambulance to the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading, where he was born in December two months premature.

His mother accompanied him while Mr McGarvey stayed behind to look after Chloe.

En route, Taylor stopped breathing again and went into cardiac arrest. The paramedics brought him back round using mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and chest compressions.

At the hospital, Taylor was put on a ventilator and kept under supervision.

He has been detained but his parents hope he will be able to come home next week.

Mr McGarvey said: “We more or less call the hospital two or three times a day just to make sure he’s all right.

“We haven’t been given any definitive answers but from a chest X-ray it looks like there was a build-up of fluid on his left lung. It’s likely to have been a viral infection that he struggled to cope with.

“He’s got more tubes in him now than he did when he was born. It was actually his due date on the day he went in.”

He added: “The paramedics were all nice people and did a really good job getting him over there.

“We’re also very grateful to whoever picked the air ambulance people up — it’s nice to know people are willing to help like that.”

A spokesman for South Central Ambulance Service said it was not unusual for babies to go into cardiac arrest. It typically happened when their breathing was obstructed.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say