Thursday, 14 December 2017

Residents 'unable to go home' after fire

A fire which broke out in a flat in New Street , Henley at about 5pm last night (Friday), was caused after a hairdryer and electrical adaptor caught on fire.

A fire which broke out in a flat in New Street , Henley at about 5pm last night (Friday), was caused after a hairdryer and electrical adaptor caught on fire.

Residents of five of the ten flats were unable to return to their homes due to severe smoke damage and water flooding by melted pipes.

Four people were treated at the scene for the effects of smoke inhalation.

Five fire engines and 30 firefighters helped put out the flames. Crews from Henley, Watlington, Didcot, Reading and Eynsham attended the scene.

Eight firefighters wearing breathing apparatus spent an hour extinguishing the blaze and checking for fire spread using high pressure hoses.

Incident Commander John Nixon said ?Although our crews arrived very quickly at scene, I was surprised how quick the fire took hold. I believe the prompt actions taken by our crews prevented a far worse situation occurring.?

Police closed New Street while the firefighters tackled the blaze.

Mr Nixon said: ?We do not take matters like closing a road lightly, however safety is paramount both for the general public and our firefighters.?

More News:

Latest video from

Youngsters dazzle at music competition
 

POLL: Have your say