Sunday, 23 September 2018

Cleaner stole from pub twice in two days

A THIEF from Henley has been given a suspended prison sentence.

A THIEF from Henley has been given a suspended prison sentence.

Jamie Clarke, 23, of Lawson Road, was sentenced at Oxford Magistrates’ Court.

He stole from the Three Tuns pub in Market Place twice in two days while he was working there as a cleaner.

The former Gillotts School pupil admitted to stealing an iPod on March 27 and £40 of tips the following day after being caught on CCTV.

Clarke was then caught on camera stealing 11 scratch cards from the One Stop shop in Greys Road on April 25.

He looked round to make sure no one was looking before stuffing the cards into his right jacket pocket. Clarke then paid staff for a newspaper before leaving the shop.

He had already been handed a community order by Oxford magistrates for dishonestly receiving two prescriptions belonging to the Hart Surgery in Henley on October 16 last year.

Magistrates decided on April 4 to revoke the community order and re-sentence him as he continued to re-offend. They took into account a further three offences

Clarke was sentenced to eight weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months.

He was also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £80, compensation of £40 and t costs of £35.

Insp Mark Harling, head of Henley police, said: “CCTV has assisted us in this investigation.

“Some business premises have had employees penalised for thefts which take place and I am pleased we were able to solve this crime and make sure that any potential losses were minimised.”

Mark Duggan, who runs the Three Tuns with his wife Sandra, said: “The guy was employed by a third party as a cleaner and he seemed like a nice enough chap.

“He had not long been out of prison and he had an opportunity there to have a regular job and earn some money and now he has completely scuppered his career for a tip jar and an iPod.”

He added: “He even looked at the CCTV camera before taking them.”

Clarke spent 14 months in prison after being caught red-handed by police carrying out a burglary in Newtown Gardens, Henley, in February 2011.

He pleaded guilty to the crime and asked for another burglary on the previous day in Rotherfield Road to be taken into consideration.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say