Friday, 20 July 2018

Trio jailed for attack on men with iron bars

THREE men who forced their way into a flat in Henley and assaulted the occupants with iron bars have been

THREE men who forced their way into a flat in Henley and assaulted the occupants with iron bars have been jailed for a total of 22 years and four months.

Daniel New enlisted the help of his half-brother Phillip Madley and friend Sean Cowley to carry out the attack in Reading Road after he saw this former girlfriend socialising with the men living there.

All three denied aggravated burglary, two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and intent to cause grevious bodily harm but were convicted on all counts at Aylesbury Crown Court after a seven-day trial last month. They were sentenced on Monday.

New, 24, from Didcot, was sentenced to eight years and four months in jail. Madley, 30, from Chinoor, and Cowley, 29, from Wallingford, were both sentenced to seven years in jail.

The three men hit Harry Hibbert with iron bars in the early hours of November 17 last year when he answered the front door thinking it was his flatmate.

They then ran upstairs and burst into the flat, causing Mr Hibbert’s friends, Jamie Parker-Rigby and Max Webb, to become so scared that they hid in the bathroom.Amber Collier, New’s formr girlfriend, said the attack was “absolutely terrifying”.

She tried to stop the men from hitting Mr Hibbert, who was curled up in the corner of his bedroom, but was told that she would be hurt unless she stood back.

Mr Webb, 25, said he and Mr Parker-Rigby had struggled to keep the door shut when the intruders tried to get into the bathroom using their iron bars and he thought jumping out of the first floor window was the safest option.He landed on a brick wall and spent five days in hospital after breaking his leg.

The attackers hit, kicked and punched Mr Parker-Rigby for 10 to 15 seconds after gaining entry.

Mr Hibbert’s injuries included a broken nose and two chipped teeth while Mr Parker-Rigby required stitches for his injuries at the top of his head, above his eye and his nose.

The attack left blood on the walls, doors and radiators and Mr Hibbert and his flatmate Michael Grayson were forced to forfeit their deposits totalling £1,400 to pay for repairs.

New had approached the group to try to speak to Ms Collier three times in the hours leading up to the attack.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say