Saturday, 16 December 2017

Fire caused by mirror

A FIRE at a house in Goring yesterday (Thursday) is thought to have been caused by sunlight reflecting off a mirror.

A FIRE at a house in Goring yesterday (Thursday) is thought to have been caused by sunlight reflecting off a mirror.

The occupier of the house in Miller’s Close raised the alarm at about 1.20pm when they discovered the blaze in a first floor front bedroom.

They had been out for about an hour and came home to find smoke coming from a window and the smoke alarm going off.

Two fire engines from Wallingford and Abingdon were sent to the scene along with support crews from Berkshire.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went inside and used heat-seeking cameras to locate the blaze, which they put out with a hose.

They blew out the remaining smoke with large fans to stop it causing further damage, then checked the fire and fumes hadn’t spread through the floorboards or into the neighbouring house.

It’s believed the blaze was started when sunlight reflected off a mirror and set light to a box of tissues.

Goring fire station manager Marcus Reay, who attended the incident, said: “Initially crews were faced with a heavily smoke-logged first floor and they did a good job to find and extinguish the fire so quickly.

“I would like to remind everyone that mirrors can cause fires not only in the summer but also at other times of year.”

Mr Reay said care should be taken when reorganising a room to keep mirrors out of sunlight.

The Red Cross’s incident response team also attended to support the residents, who only moved into the house recently.



More News:

Latest video from

Youngsters dazzle at music competition
 

POLL: Have your say