Wednesday, 13 December 2017

Safety campaign renewed after man killed

CAMPAIGNERS have renewed calls for a review of safety at a Caversham road junction after a man was killed in a car crash

CAMPAIGNERS have renewed calls for a review of safety at a Caversham road junction after a man was killed in a car crash.

The 72-year-old pedestrian died after the collision involving a Vauxhall Astra and a Ford Fiesta at the junction of Albert Road and Highmoor Road at 10.37am on Saturday.

He was walking along the pavement when he was struck by one of the cars as it left the road.

The man, who has not been named by police, was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford, where he died later that day.

The crash was the latest in a series of accidents at the junction since the Caversham and District Residents’ Association launched a campaign to improve safety there in October 2011.

A week before this crash, an elderly couple and a family were involved in a head-on collision at the junction.

In December 2014 there were several collisions and near-misses at the junction, including one in which two cars collided and almost hit three children.

Helen Lambert, who chairs the association, urged Reading Borough Council to take urgent action.

She said: “We have been concerned about this junction for a number of years and have been in discussions with council officers where we have offered suggestions to improve safety.

“We very much hope that steps to make this crossing safer are taken forward as soon as possible.” Mrs Lambert was supported by Reading East MP Rob Wilson, who lives nearby. He said: “Residents are understandably very angry and seriously concerned about the safety of the junction.

“Unfortunately, the worst-case scenario that many envisaged has now become a reality.

“I have already written to [council deputy leader] Tony Page, imploring him to place this issue at the top of the local agenda and to take urgent action to improve safety at the junction.

“It’s vital that this is done quickly and effectively so that residents can be reassured about their own wellbeing and that of other drivers and pedestrians.”

Mr Wilson called for the white “STOP” lines at the junction to be repainted and the foliage around the junction sign to be removed.

The council has previously suggested installing a bus gate at the junction but after public consultation decided to look for an alternative solution such as traffic-calming measures on Albert Road.

The council says it will examine the police report on the latest accident before deciding what action to take.



More News:

Latest video from

Youngsters dazzle at music competition
 

POLL: Have your say