Tuesday, 24 October 2017

Probe launched after dressing room incident

AN investigation has been launched after an opposition player “invaded” Henley Cricket Club’s dressing room after

AN investigation has been launched after an opposition player “invaded” Henley Cricket Club’s dressing room after their match on Saturday.

The team had just won at Burnham when the incident took place.

The match was in the Home Counties Premier League, whose officials are to investigate.

Henley’s Richard Morris is said to have been threatened as he left the ground.

The Henley Standard’s match reporter Robert MacLeish said the incident appeared to have been sparked by the dismissal of a Burnham player in the match who was caught by Morris and had to be removed from the field following his dismissal.



Earlier, the batsman had been struck on the helmet by a bouncer from bowler Tom Nugent.

MacLeish said: “Four balls later, he could only sky the ball to Morris at cover point. Unhappy at the manner of his dismissal, he completed his run to the other hand by kicking over, in some style, all three stumps simultaneously and then had to be forcibly restrained and removed from the field.

“All very unedifying and the umpires wasted little time awarding five penalty runs against Burnham, so increasing their target to 208.”

Henley Cricket Club secretary Tony Fettiplace said: “On behalf of the club, I can tell you that the league has commenced disciplinary  proceedings.

“There’s a proper process for that and all parties will be asked to contribute as appropriate and will be happy to do so. We’re waiting to hear from the Home Counties Premier League.”

Henley eventually won by the game by 61 runs.



More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: WW2 battles relived at Mapledurham
 

POLL: Have your say