Tuesday, 25 September 2018

Henley College employee contracts meningitis

A MEMBER of staff at the Henley College has contracted bacterial meningitis

A MEMBER of staff at the Henley College has contracted bacterial meningitis.

The man, a member of the support staff and not a teacher, was taken to hospital on Thursday last week and diagnosed the next day.

College principal Jayne Davis said he had been at work all week but went home early on Thursday as he felt unwell.

?He wasn?t feeling too good but he went home and his conditioned worsened dramatically,? she said.

As soon as the college was made aware of the diagnosis it told students, parents, staff and visitors via a letter and stressed that they should not be "overly concerned?.

Mrs Davis said: ?We worked fast to get the communication out there to everybody we thought should know. We have liaised with Public Health England. They confirmed what we were doing was exactly right.

?We just backtrack the jobs they have done and the visitors they have had in ? basically their actions for the amount of time specified by the health authority.

?We have policies to do this and those can be quickly executed. Our policies cover both campuses, any visitors that have been in and sub-contractors that might have been in contact.

?This member of staff has not been in very close contact with either college students or students visiting from our four partner schools.?

The man is still in hospital but is said to be recovering slowly.

Mrs Davis said: ?We?re having daily updates and the last we heard he?s relatively stable, which is good news.

?Everyone is thinking about him and wishing him well for a speedy a recovery as possible and looking forward to seeing him again soon when he?s better.

?The hospital or the health authority will tell us the exact details of how he contracted it but they have told us the chances of anyone else contracting it are extremely low.

Meningitis is an infection of the protective membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord. It causes these membranes to become inflamed, which in some cases can damage to the nerves and brain.

Bacterial meningitis is caused by bacteria such as neisseria meningitidis or streptococcus pneumoniae and through close contact.

It is said to be very serious and should be treated as a medical emergency. If the bacterial infection is left untreated, it can cause severe brain damage and infect the blood. It most commonly affects children under five and is also common among teenagers.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death
 

POLL: Have your say