THIS magnificent private house in Crazies Hill was once Henley’s town hall.
It can be seen from a public footpath which runs right alongside.
Back in 1796, with the new river bridge in full use, this fine two-storey classical building with Italian design influences was constructed to reflect the increasing prosperity of the town.
Designed by William Bradshaw, a Henley alderman and builder, it was (and still is) an imposing structure.
Charles Clements, who was then the Mayor, had it dismantled piece by piece and transported up White Hill by pony and trap to be rebuilt at its current site.