Henley Standard Property
HOME

Date:

Order your copy Advertise with us! HENLEY PAGES
Delivering the news from Henley on Thames and South Oxfordshire for over 100 years
  News     Sport    Celebrity   What's On Regulars Community Info Henley Standard TV Lifestyle Property Jobs Classifieds Gallery Trade
                               Follow us    Follow us    Newsfeed Search the Henley Standard  
Wargrave Local History Society
Published 10/03/14



PATSY ROYNON, who lives in Loddon Drive, Wargrave, was the guest at February’s meeting.

She battled the floods to reach the pavilion in Recreation Road and gave a presentation on the history of Loddon Drive.

Mrs Roynon created a virtual tour of the street using pictures from the last 150 years, starting at Wargrave station, which opened in 1900.

She showed the first house to be built in Loddon Drive in 1903, which was called Bon Accord, and also told how almost all the street’s residents moved out after floods in 1947.

Another house in the road, called Cape Farewell, was owned by former London mayor Sir George Broadbridge and burned down in the late Forties.


A resident of a house called Peri built Bridgman’s Bridge in 1936 to provide access from Loddon Drive to the station.

Before the bridge was built residents were forced to swim or row across the River Loddon to reach the station.

The oldest house in the street is a farmhouse which dates from 1760. It is built with Norman stones which Mrs Roynon believes may have come from Reading Abbey when it was demolished in the 16th century.

The presentation finished with pictures of several floods that hit the street, including ones this year which left the road and gardens under up to 3ft of water.

The society’s next meeting will be on Tuesday, March 11, and will be the annual meeting where the programme of events for the rest of 2014 will be outlined.

On Tuesday, April 8, Elizabeth Hazeldine will talk about the history of Fillets Court in Henley, the 14th century house that is now the site of Phyllis Court.

Meetings take place in the pavilion on the recreation ground, starting at 8pm.

For more information, call Peter Delaney on 0118 940 3121 or visit www.wargrave history.org.uk

Published 10/03/14

MOST POPULAR
Barber shop vandalised
End of the line for Norman
Blind rower who fell from window sues owner
Henley man found guilty of child rape
Darling the house is full of smoke...
Glass crashes onto street during high winds
Study shows traffic impact of 450 new homes
Legal bid to save gym from closure
LATEST NEWS HEADLINES
Legal bid to stop Goring train gantries
Pub owner loses appeal
Henley man found guilty of child rape
Townlands decision delayed for beds rethink
Blind rower's court claim upheld
Solicitor cycling 100 miles for charity
Teenagers arrested after barley field fire
Memorial service to be held for WWI Soldier
Brakspear Special on tap for festival
Green Flag for Mill Meadows
Hundreds attend HOPS though future uncertain
Thumbs up for Club to Pub swim
Latest Video View more from   Henley Standard TV
ADVERTISE WITH US
LATEST SPORTS HEADLINES
Cricket club's tenth anniversary summer ball
Towns' Regatta set to be biggest ever
Afridiís haul helps side get back on track
Watts wins U25 crown
Henley maintain top spot despite being held to draw at home by Slough
Top Videos
 
Most Popular
 
 
 
 
Higgs Group
HIGGS GROUP
Tel: 01491 419400
www.higgsgroup.co.uk
HENLEY PAGES
Tel: 01491 419419
www.henleypages.com
HIGGS PRINTING & DESIGN
Tel: 01491 419429
www.higgsprinting.co.uk
HIGGS OFFICE SUPPLIES
Tel: 01491 419499
www.higgsofficesupplies.co.uk
HENLEY LIFE MAGAZINE
Tel: 01491 419449
www.henleylife.co.uk
HIGGS GROUP, Caxton House, 1 Station Road, Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire, RG9 1AD.

Cookie Policy | Copyright and Terms | Competition Rules | Contact Us | Advertise with us | Site Map
© Higgs & Co (Printers) Limited 2013  |  Registered in England number 1418717