Henley Standard Property
HOME

Date:

Order your copy Advertise with us! HENLEY PAGES
Delivering the news from Henley on Thames and South Oxfordshire for over 100 years
  News     Sport    Celebrity   What's On Regulars Community Info Henley Standard TV Lifestyle Property Jobs Classifieds Gallery Trade
                               Follow us    Follow us    Newsfeed Search the Henley Standard  
Henley Ladies Probus Club
Published 28/04/14



THE April meeting at Badgemore Golf Club welcomed a large group of members and four guests to hear a very interesting talk on Caversham Court Gardens from its beginnings to the present day.

The audience were told the history of the site from the time of the medieval community of Caversham.

St Peter’s Church, the 12th century rectory and a considerable amount of land were donated by the 2nd Earl of Buckingham to the Augustinian abbey of Notley where a small monastic cell was erected.

After the dissolution of the monasteries, these lands were given to Christ Church College, Oxford.

Over the next four centuries, the old rectory, which became known as Caversham Court, was occupied by some of the most influential families in the Reading area who improved the site.


The gardens were laid out on three terraces between 1660 to 1681 by Thomas Loveday as a private retreat surrounding the house.

Today the visitors can see the 17th century stables and the two-storey gazebo, built in 1663, is one of the oldest remaining examples in the country. There is also the retaining wall of St Peter’s churchyard and an 18th century crinkle crankle wall which divides the kitchen gardens and the churchyard.

During the Second World War most of the gardens were turned into allotments as part of the Dig for Victory campaign.

Now the gardens welcome people as a peaceful place to wander and sit by the Thames among some of the finest tree specimens and flower beds.

There is plenty of parking around St Peter’s Church, which backs on to the gardens with fine views of the Thames towards Reading.

The next meeting will be on May 8 with speakers from the Samaritans.

For more information, call Marion Whitaker on (01491) 628629.

Published 28/04/14

MOST POPULAR
Henley gets festive with Switch On & Shop
Restaurant to close after 34 years of service
20 alarm saves woman's life
Fly-tipper caught on camera fined 4,000
Charity fundraiser loses fight with cancer
Car stolen following burglary
Switch On & Shop draws crowds
Ristorante Reno for sale
LATEST NEWS HEADLINES
Flight path trial over Henley area ends
Former vicar of Wargrave dies
Chiltern Centre launch appeal for funding
Could you help at the Living Advent?
Hundreds gather for brave cancer fundraiser
Chicken farmer fined for burning carcases
Roadworks at Bix finish ahead of schedule
Runner attacked by dog
Motorcycle and Giant mountain bike stolen
20 alarm saves woman's life
Fly-tipper caught on camera fined 4,000
Bike stolen from Station Road
Latest Video View more from   Henley Standard TV
ADVERTISE WITH US
LATEST SPORTS HEADLINES
League leaders march on
Watlington’s resistance broken down
Henley paddlers set new club record
Moss is hat-trick hero for Wargrave
Sisters shine during artistic competition
Top Videos
 
Most Popular
 
 
 
 
Higgs Group
HIGGS GROUP
Tel: 01491 419400
www.higgsgroup.co.uk
HENLEY PAGES
Tel: 01491 419419
www.henleypages.com
HIGGS PRINTING & DESIGN
Tel: 01491 419429
www.higgsprinting.co.uk
HIGGS OFFICE SUPPLIES
Tel: 01491 419499
www.higgsofficesupplies.co.uk
HENLEY LIFE MAGAZINE
Tel: 01491 419449
www.henleylife.co.uk
HIGGS GROUP, Caxton House, 1 Station Road, Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire, RG9 1AD.

Cookie Policy | Copyright and Terms | Competition Rules | Contact Us | Advertise with us | Site Map
© Higgs & Co (Printers) Limited 2013  |  Registered in England number 1418717