THE Challenge Henley triathlon will not return to the town, it has been revealed.
Organisers Just Racing UK said next year’s event would be held somewhere else but the location would not be revealed until Wednesday.
The event had been held in Henley and the surrounding area on a Sunday in September for the past three years but it has been dogged by controversy over the need for 12-hour road closures and rows with councillors over the disruption it causes compared with the economic benefit it brings.
Race director Alan Rose said: “We are extremely proud to have developed Challenge in the UK from 800 to 1,350 athletes over a three-year period and would like to thank each and every athlete for their continued support during this time.
“Our new partnership allows us to continue our vision of having a premier location, with a local authority and partners who share our excitement and passion to develop and deliver a world-class Challenge triathlon event.”
A full story and reaction will be published in next week’s Henley Standard.