Henley Standard Property
HOME

Date:

Order your copy Advertise with us! HENLEY PAGES
Delivering the news from Henley on Thames and South Oxfordshire for over 100 years
  News     Sport    Celebrity   What's On Regulars Community Info Henley Standard TV Lifestyle Property Jobs Classifieds Gallery Trade
                               Follow us    Follow us    Newsfeed Search the Henley Standard  
Park warden chased after barbecue ban
Published 21/03/14



A PARK warden was chased and pulled from his vehicle after stopping a group of men from having a barbecue at a Henley beauty spot.

He poured water on their fire after the men ignored his warning that barbecues are banned in Mill Meadows.

Police were called after the incident on Sunday afternoon and arrested a man. The warden, a member of Henley Town Council’s parks team, approached the group of about 20 men of Asian appearance who had lit a fire with the intention of starting a barbecue.

Town clerk Mike Kennedy said: “The officer, pointing to the notices warning the public that barbecues are not allowed, politely but firmly told them to extinguish the fire and gave then 20 minutes in which to do so.

“They failed to comply with this simple request so the officer took matters into his own hands and, with the aid of two buckets of water and after 20 minutes had elapsed, extinguished the fire.

“This led to the operative being chased to the council’s utility vehicle as he made his escape. He was pulled from the vehicle.”

Mr Kennedy said it was the first in 10 years that a member of council staff had been physically assaulted. “The operative has not been injured in any way and was in work on Monday as normal,” he said.

“There are lessons to be learned from this event and the parks manager is looking into revising our risk assessment with regard to dispute resolution to avoid this kind of incident, and the potential consequences, from happening in the future.”

It is believed some of the men involved swapped items of clothing to prevent the man who pulled the warden from his vehicle being identified by police. However, the man who was arrested admitted assault and was issued with an Ł80 fixed penalty notice.

Mayor Stefan Gawrysiak said the warden had been doing his duty in informing the men that barbecues were not allowed.

“I’m enormously pleased that he wasn’t injured,” he said. “For him to be chased and pulled out of his truck is unforgivable and shocking and I hope something like this never happens again.”

Barbecues have always been forbidden on Mill Meadows and the council extended the ban to the Marsh Meadows during the heatwave in August, saying disposable barbecues could set fire to the dry grass.

The council decided to make the ban permanent following complaints from residents about cooking smells and scorch marks on the ground.

However, in February, councillors discussed lifting the ban in Marsh Meadows and to allow people to cook their food in a specially designated barbecue area. The council is considering putting down temporary paving slabs with heatproof bins for disposing of hot coals for use this summer.

If this proves successful, it may consider building permanent public barbecues similar to those found in many Australian towns and cities.


Published 21/03/14

MOST POPULAR
Landlord of The Old Bell dies suddenly
Driver rescued from car in river
Father's fury at Thames Path waste dumping
Landowner wants to leave ‘legacy for local people’
Deli owner blames closure on 'heavy handed' council
Tributes paid to Boat Festival organiser
Lock-keeper who spent 19 years greeting river visitors
New headmaster appointed at the Oratory School
LATEST NEWS HEADLINES
Bus route saved by local accountant
Bus abandoned with engine on
‘Magnificent 7’ raise money after boss’s cancer diagnosis
Youth encouraged to define 'journey' at #HYF2017
Care unit opens
Bus services will be axed, warns operator
Nor further investigation after alleged abduction
Can you help school renovate its garden?
Landlord of The Old Bell dies suddenly
Deli owner blames closure on 'heavy handed' council
Singer died from overdose, says friend
Debbie McGee shows support for Brain Tumour Research
Latest Video View more from   Henley Standard TV
ADVERTISE WITH US
LATEST SPORTS HEADLINES
Programme moves to new heights with Wasps help
Proctor misses out on slalom podium finish
No winner
Tough test awaits Red Kites
Sanford in England squad
Top Videos
 
Most Popular
 
 
 
 
Higgs Group
HIGGS GROUP
Tel: 01491 419400
www.higgsgroup.co.uk
HENLEY PAGES
Tel: 01491 419419
www.henleypages.com
HIGGS PRINTING & DESIGN
Tel: 01491 419429
www.higgsprinting.co.uk
HIGGS OFFICE SUPPLIES
Tel: 01491 419499
www.higgsofficesupplies.co.uk
HENLEY LIFE MAGAZINE
Tel: 01491 419449
www.henleylife.co.uk
HIGGS GROUP, Caxton House, 1 Station Road, Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire, RG9 1AD.

Cookie Policy | Copyright and Terms | Competition Rules | Contact Us | Advertise with us | Site Map
© Higgs & Co (Printers) Limited 2016  |  Registered in England number 1418717