A ROSE named after Lady Ryder of Warsaw has been planted in her memorial garden.
The red rose was created to commemorate her charity work and mark the start of construction of a new education centre next to the garden at St Katharine’s, a retreat centre and the headquarters of the Sue Ryder Prayer Fellowship in Parmoor.
Money raised from the sale of the rose will go to the fellowship.
The flower, which was created by Phillip Harkness, of Harkness Roses, was celebrated with a fund-raising dinner at St Katharine’s followed by the planting ceremony the next day, which was attended by about 75 people.
Four of the rose bushes were planted by Mr Harkness, Lady Ryder’s children Jeromy and Dr Elizabeth Cheshire, and the Rev Canon Robert Clifton, chairman of the fellowship.
Dr Cheshire said: “This garden was quite desolate a few years ago and has been reclaimed with volunteers learning gardening qualifications to help them gain employment later in life.
“It is just a beautiful garden to help people get back on their feet and a lovely memorial to mum and all her charitable work.”
The one-acre Victorian walled garden was opened by Sir Terry Wogan in 2012. It was designed to promote Lady Ryder’s ideals of relieving poverty through training for work and relieving sickness, addiction and mental disability through the provision of horticultural activities.
Lady Ryder founded the Sue Ryder charity in 1953 to provide health and social care for people living with long-term and end-of-life conditions across Britain, Europe and southern Africa.
The new education centre will allow more people to enroll on courses at St Katharine’s and provide extra living accommodation.