|
POLICE want to close down Henley’s lap dancing club. More than 100 crimes have been reported at Diamonds and Pearls since it opened in 2009.
Now Thames Valley Police have applied to have the licence revoked.
Latino’s nightclub, which is in the same building in Greys Road car park, is governed by the same licence. If South Oxfordshire District Council’s licensing panel approves the police request, both clubs would be forced to shut.
Henley police launched an investigation because of the large number of reported crimes at the premises, including eighteen assaults, 11 causing actual bodily harm, nine drug offences, 12 incidents of fraud, six thefts, one affray and a rape.
Inspector Stewart Haveron, who is leading the investigation, said: “Because of the large number of incidents, we have found it necessary to apply for a review of the licence. The measures put in place to prevent crime on the site are not effective and so the licence needs to be reviewed.”
Town councillor Barry Wood, who has campaigned to have Diamonds and Pearls closed down, said: “This is absolutely brilliant and I applaud the police.
“Obviously the Henley public doesn’t realise what crimes are associated with this place. Although I want to see the night-time economy thrive and prosper, the level of crime is intolerable.
“I am surprised at the high level of crime but research shows that the amount of crime within one km of these establishments is increased.
“The only sort of pole dancing I want in Henley is around a Maypole.”
He added: “I feel vindicated. There are 5,000 children going to our primary and secondary schools and the college every day and for this club to be on a main thoroughfare in Henley is intolerable.”
When the club was opened in 2009, Cllr Wood threatened to hold a protest march unless the district council reversed its decision to grant the licence. At the time, he said: “It will encourage undesirable people and the seedier elements of life into the town. I’m not a prude or a puritan — I have been to strip clubs and enjoyed them — but I don’t want my face rubbed in it.”
Two weeks ago, the Standard reported how a web page had been set up on social networking site Facebook targeting Cllr Wood after he attacked the club for holding a children’s party held in the building.
His address, email address and home, work and mobile telephone numbers were posted on the web page, together with his picture, and visitors were encouraged to contact him.
The web page, which has since been removed, was called Get A Life Barry Woods (sic). The author is unknown but Facebook users had left comments attacking Cllr Wood using language not suitable for a family newspaper.
Diamonds and Pearls owner Andy Mags was not available for comment.
In the past, he has denied the club would increase antisocial behaviour.
Before the opening, he said: “The fact is yobs won’t be able to afford to come in here and there will be security on the door who won’t let anybody in unless they are dressed smartly.
“It is not like places you get in Soho. We will have live music and jazz. It is a place where people can come and relax and enjoy the atmosphere.
“I have walked around Henley at night and there is not a lot for people to do. I hope the club will reinvigorate the town.
“Yes, it will have strippers and lap dancers but it will provide a place for people to come and meet, for businessmen to entertain their clients.”
A district council spokeswoman said: “We can confirm a request to review the club’s licence was registered on March 3.
“Anyone wishing to comment needs to contact the licensing team in writing before March 31. At the end of the 28-day consultation period, we have 20 working days to arrange the hearing and will seek to have concluded the matter within that period.
“The outcome of the hearing could range from a decision to take no action through imposing licence conditions to the removal of the club’s licence.”
Published 14/03/11
|