Henley Standard Property


Order your copy Advertise with us! HENLEY PAGES
Delivering the news from Henley on Thames and South Oxfordshire for over 100 years
  News     Sport    Celebrity   What's On Regulars Community Info Henley Standard TV Lifestyle Property Jobs Classifieds Gallery Trade
                               Follow us    Follow us    Newsfeed Search the Henley Standard  
Town pick up a point despite three players seeing red
Published 23/12/13

HENLEY TOWN took a point from Saturday’s Division 1 East encounter against Milton United in a match that saw two goals being scored in the first three minutes, a missed penalty at the end and three players receiving their marching orders, writes Mike Trendall.

The Red Kites got off to a bright start with Mitch Cooper scoring from close range from a corner before Adam Bruce ran through the home defence and dribbled round keeper Steve Fairchild to equalise.

Sam Cripps came close to putting Henley in front but was sent off after 19 minutes after being involved in a skirmish.

Six minutes later Dan Faherty crossed from the right wing for Warren Baxter to make it 2-1 with a diving header at the far post. He came close to repeating it from a Cooper corner but headed wide.

Adam Bruce tried to lob Fairchild in the second half only to see his attempt just go over the bar.

Soon after Cooper was given a red card in another scrap with the Milton defence. Goodwin was subbed by Louis Howell and with 12 minutes to go former Town player Michael Davies beat the offside trap to fire low past the oncoming Fairchild for 2-2.

Alex Allen, on his return to the club, came on and must have thought he would finish on the losing side as Fairchild brought down a Milton forward. The Henley keeper was sent off and Andrew Nunn went in goal for eight-man Henley. The resulting spot kick cannoned off the bar and the round was cleared to safety.

Henley Town: S Fairchild, D Faherty, S Rolfe, R Thomas, A Nunn, M Cooper, M Goodwin, B Clark, W Baxter, S Cripps, K Sims. Subs: A Allan, J Donnegan, L Howell.

HENLEY TOWN crashed out of the Floodlit Cup on Tuesday after holding their opponents for 50 minutes at 1-1 and then conceding two quick goals, writes Mike Trendall.

Early on, Alex Allen fired over the bar and Sam Cripps had a shot kicked off the line but Maidenhead went in front when a shot hit the bar and Timins headed in.

Allen equalised from a cross from Ben Clark and Henley held out until half-time with Baxter making some good tackles in defence.

The visitors went in front when substitute Isaac beat Fairchild from 25 yards which the keeper got a touch to but could not stop it going inside the near post. A quick break saw Malcolm make it 3-1 to the visitors.

Allen had an attempt clawed away for a corner but Maidenhead broke away again only to hit the home crossbar.

Allen had a drive palmed out by the Maidenhead keeper before manager Craig Hiscock brought on three substitutes. However, this was to no avail as they went 4-1 down straight away through Mendy. Hypponite made it 5-1 and Malcolm got his second late on to complete the scoring.

Published 23/12/13

39 and fit but nearly died from bowel cancer
HAODS does the Full Monty
Whitchurch Bridge toll to be reviewed
Romans arrive in Henley
Residents encouraged to recycle garden waste
Runners raise thousands completing Marathon
Runners gear up for the London Marathon
Designer pops up in village
Victory keeps Hawks’ survival hopes alive
Red Kites stop the rot with derby victory
Apaches have opposition running scared
High drama as Hawks Women prevail in play-off
Academy on lookout for top new talent
Hotspurs dig deep to stay in winning ways
Silverware hopes on hold
Town are stung by three-goal Wasps
County nod for Barnes
Juniors overcome weather and the opposition
Six picked
Gym club cash plea
Latest Video View more from   Henley Standard TV
Gardening Buddies help keep Henley blooming
200 year-old tree removed
British greats to talk at Literary Festival
Henley suffers from litter louts
Giant Easter egg being raffled for charity
Top Videos
Most Popular
Higgs Group
Tel: 01491 419400
Tel: 01491 419419
Tel: 01491 419429
Tel: 01491 419499
Tel: 01491 419449
HIGGS GROUP, Caxton House, 1 Station Road, Henley on Thames, Oxfordshire, RG9 1AD.

Cookie Policy | Copyright and Terms | Competition Rules | Contact Us | Advertise with us | Site Map
© Higgs & Co (Printers) Limited 2013  |  Registered in England number 1418717