Sides Tumble In is believed to date back to the 17th century and acknowledged to be one of the oldest
Sides Tumble In is believed to date back to the 17th century and acknowledged to be one of the oldest surviving properties in the village. Originally, is is thought to have been built as a small detached thatched cottage, with the adjoining cottage probably added in a later century.
The cottage has whitened brick and part-rendered elevations with exposed external timbers under a pitched clay tile roof, with two tiled front dormer windows on the first floor, and fronts onto Red Cross Road near the junction with Station Road in the central part of the village.
Historically, Station Road was the main village street and led down to the river where there was a ferry service across to Streatley. The arrival of Brunel’s railway in 1840, coinciding with the building of a bridge over the Thames, changed the structure of the village.
In recent years the cottage has seen considerable investment by way of sympathetic improvement, restoration and tasteful refurbishment — notably a new oak-fitted kitchen with range oven.
The property exudes immense charm and character throughout complemented by beamed ceilings, exposed wall timbers, an inglenook and a cast iron fireplace all adding to its period ambience. There is also a useful cellar store room and in 2005 planning was granted for a garden room annexe with toilet.
Accommodation includes sitting and dining room, kitchen, inner hall, bathroom, two double bedrooms and an ensuite shower room.
There are attractive, well laid out gardens, having a brick and flint walled frontage, which are secluded with distant views across to Lardon Chase above Streatley, together with a double parking bay.
The property is available through Warmingham at a guide price of £395,000. For more details, call (01491) 874144.