Monday, 14 June 2021

Bottom club is swept aside

PEPPARD STOKE ROW secured the runners-up spot in the Premier Division with a week to spare

PEPPARD STOKE ROW secured the runners-up spot in the Premier Division with a week to spare after beating hosts EMMBROOK & BEARWOOD by 68 runs.

Having been put into bat, Fergus Nutt and Paddy Hennessy shared an excellent opening stand before the latter was bowled by off spinner Callum Marshall for 31.

Andy Watts fell shortly after for 0 — unable to deal with a vicious Andy Webb bouncer which he ended up fending to gully — but Charles Lamprecht counter-attacked well.

Nutt was caught and bowled by Webb for 67 but Dan Hayden once again showed his class hitting 60 — aided by a mature innings from Michael Chard — to help take the visitors to 255-9 in their 45 overs. Marshall ended with 5-57.

Spinners Chris Humphreys and Dion Sampson picked up three early wickets in the Emmbrook reply, and when the new ball was taken, Matt Hopper accounted for Ollie Williams.

Webb and captain Phil West played their shots during an entertaining fifth-wicket stand, but Hopper’s removal of the former, followed by two quick wickets for Humphreys, put Peppard on the brink of victory.

Hopper had Ryan Phelps caught behind before David Williams returned to bowl a brisk spell during which he cleaned up Marshall, and Humphreys continued his fine season by trapping Mark Cobb lbw to dismiss Emmbrook for 187 with nine balls of the contest remaining.

Elsewhere, a magnificent knock of 113 by Paul Knox enabled WOODCOTE to score a comprehensive home victory by 73 runs over bottom-of-the-table MORTIMER WEST END.

Knox shared a century stand with Jez Mayo, enabling captain, Ryan van Heerden to declare after 36 overs.

Mortimer were soon in trouble against the Woodcote spin attack, losing four wickets before reaching 50.

Zaheer Ahmed, who picked up 3-30, and Mike Stroker, 2-36, put the skids under Mortimer’s innings and, when they had finished, Ryan van Heerden took 3-22 and man-of-the-match, Knox 2-10 finished the job, despite the stubborn efforts with the bat by veterans Steve Audsley and Ken Allsobrook.

In Division 1, GORING claimed a 102-run victory against second-placed WEST READING 2nds as they continued their strong form in the latter half of the season.

However, it did not look so positive early on as West Reading reduced Goring to 39-3 with Mohammed Asif, who finished with figures of 4-57, in particular causing problems.

A great family response from the Winterbottoms saw Goring build an impressive score as Chris hit 60 and his sons Jack hit 45 and Toby ended up 43 not out. Matt Norman made 37 to add the icing to the cake as he and Toby ran West Reading ragged with an unbeaten 85-run eighth-wicket stand as Goring posted 280-7.

In reply, the hosts were never at the races and had it not been for an impressive innings by opener Mubin Ahmed, who carried his bat, scoring 87 runs, the defeat would have been even larger.

Wickets fell steadily throughout as Goring’s seamers all impressed. Peter Slade wrapped up proceedings emphatically as he claimed 5-19 on his return to the team.

Meanwhile, CHECKENDON’S best performance of the season led to a convincing victory away to league leaders BERKSHIRECOUNTY SPORTS. Openers Manpreet Singh and Ujwal Tickoo applied themselves to overcome some demons in the pitch to such an extent that their partnership of 139 in 29 overs proved decisive.

They eventually fell for 71 and 51 respectively but Ravi Vedanthappa added 32 to take the total to 211-9, with Aziz taking 4-29 for the home side.

Berks’s batsmen were soon in trouble in their reply against the well-directed pace of Rajesh Tiwari, who took full advantage of the conditions to finish with figures of 5-25.

Mahmood led the fightback with a hard-hitting 61 but swing bowler Ash Talreja brought matters to a swift conclusion with three wickets in seven balls as the innings ended on 115 in 33.1 overs.

PEPPARD STOKE ROW 3rds were knocked off the top of Division 4 after suffering a first defeat of the season in a 77-run reverse at CROWTHORNE & CROWN WOOD 3rds.

The writing was on the wall after James Whitehurst and Tom Nash put on 140 for the opening wicket for Crows, the partnership ended when the former was caught by captain Rob Dyer off the bowling of leg spinner Josh Perkins.

Peppard stuck to their task well, however, with Perkins returning 2-56, Dyer 1-24 and James Hern 1-13 particularly impressive, although the Crows’ total of 234-7 was possibly 30 above par.

Don Townsin and Hugh Asquith gave Peppard a solid platform in their reply with an opening stand of 52, but a middle-order collapse saw the visitors crash to 77-4.

Asquith, who was out for 73, and Perkins put on 67 for the fifth wicket, but a second collapse saw the away team fall from 134-4 to 157 all out as left-arm spinner Andrew Baines claimed figures of 5-35.

Meanwhile, Richard Walker struck an unbeaten 64 to help PEPPARD STOKE ROW 2nds to a 19-run friendly win against THE CROSSBATS

They had a week off from Division 2 action while Shinfield’s defeat to champions Farley Hill left the side just one point from promotion.

Peppard were in a precarious position at 115-8 but Walker and Ken Sullivan shared a 59-run stand which was only ended from the final ball of the hosts’ 40 overs as they closed on 174-9.

Under-13 Joseph Weakley and Under-15 Alfie Burnett bowled superbly to put pressure on the visitors’ top order, and the introduction of Roy Hayden and Neeraj Sharma caused a couple of wickets to fall.

Sullivan, who returned match figures of 3-18 completed a fine all-round performance before Olly Nicholson and Chris Proudfoot continued to push the required run rate up.

Under-13 Ed Bruun kept superbly throughout for Peppard and it was one of his young teammates, Daniel Watts who took 2-12, who delivered the coup de gras as The Crossbats ended on 155-9.

More News:

POLL: Have your say