Tuesday, 15 June 2021

Taylor's full toss delivery leaves Binfield in a spin as hosts secure narrow win

HARPSDEN held visiting Division 1 league leaders WRAYSBURY to a draw last Saturday.

Following a brief thunderstorm Harpsden won the toss and chose to bowl on a wicket with some life in it. Skipper Wright bowled with great control, moving the ball both ways and making life difficult for Wraysbury openers D Ward and M Ward.

The openers dug in and took advantage of everything just erring off line or length. The breakthrough came when Birkett had M Ward caught in the gully for 19. D Ward was joined by Baig and the duo took advantage of a rapidly deteriorating ball and a wicket failing to live up to its spicy potential.

Franklin and Paice were introduced to the attack and the pair immediately brought down the scoring rate. The pressure took its toll when Franklin had Baig well caught by Mitchell at short cover.

Heilbron was then brought into the attack as the Wraysbury pair of Ward and new man Mohan began to accelerate through a mixture of classy front foot drives and good running between the wickets.

Heilbron had Mohan stumped by Ward for 37 while Ward then began to commandeer the rest of the innings on his way to a century. Wickets continued falling at the other end and by the time Ward was run out for 132 the Wraysbury innings began slow, the effect of which saw skipper Prasad declare in the 50th over on 260–6.

Harpsden openers Brown and Imlay began in a watchful fashion and gradually began to accelerate against the bowling of Baig and Ibrahim.

Imlay began to unleash a number of fluid square drives on his way to a well made 27 before being adjudged lbw off Aslam for 27. The next three wickets fell in a similar fashion, with all three batsmen attempting to bat around Brown in order to eke out a hard-fought draw.

Prasad and Aslam bowled well in tandem for a long period, picking up two wickets each and putting some pressure on the Harpsden middle order. Heath joined Brown at the crease with 15 overs to go and held out to see Harpsden to 169-5 from their 50 overs, with Brown carrying his bat for 74.

After six-and-a-half hours, the result of HURLEY’S Division 2 home match with BINFIELD 2nds came down to one run with the hosts snatching an unlikely dramatic win.

Hurley found their resources stretched with colt James Calliss making his first team debut. A 10 minute delay to roll back the covers gave way to Hurley batting having lost the toss.

Phil Ridgeway opened the innings with Dave Simoes and the pair cautiously added 21 in eight overs before Ridgeway drove back to Paul Edgington who took a neat catch above his head.

Simoes fell to a wicket maiden edging Amelia Humphrey to slip and Hurley were 53-2. Shabob Riaz and Varun Sharma negotiated some low bounce at the cow-field end to add 38 in eight overs, both batsmen hitting the ball hard.

Riaz was bowled by the medium pace of Kamal Gupta but a fourth wicket stand of 65 between Sharma and Steve Taylor put Hurley in a good position at 156-3. Hurley then lost five wickets for four runs to decline to 160-8. Hurley inched to 173 inside 49 overs with Pat Hinnell sent back 20 yards by young Calliss.

Binfield started quickly hitting the Hurley attack for 67 in 10 overs but losing Gupta and Higginson to Riaz. Despite a run rate of more than five, Hurley chipped away at the wickets and no real partnership of substance was established.

Imran Arshad broke down in his sixth over with Phil Ridgeway taking over from the lane end. He struck in his third over as Ed Lee steepled to extra cover. His brother Henry briefly shone before he was bowled by Ridgeway.

The visitors reached 142-5 needing 32 with overs and wickets in hand but two wickets to Ridgeway and one to Steve Taylor reduced Binfield to 159-8. Needing just 14, Ridgeway picked up Lennon with Binfield 163-9. Ian Goddard was dropped twice to difficult chances as the tension increased. Binfield moved to 172 and with only one run to defend Ridgeway finished his match-winning spell with three dot balls to leave Amelia Humphrey on strike to Taylor. He saved his best delivery to deceive the batter with a flighted full toss. He had applied top-spin as the ball dipped and Amelia tried to sweep, only to lose middle and leg stump.


P Ridgeway, c & b Edgington


D Simoes, c H Lee, b Humphrey


S Riaz, b Gupta


V Sharma, c Jeffrey, b Gupta


St Taylor, run out


A Iqbal, c Jeffrey, b Gupta


M Cole, lbw, b Sykes


A Ahmed, b Sykes


P Hinnell, run out


I Arshad, b Gupta


J Calliss, not out






Best bowling: K Gupta 4-42, B Sykes 2-27.


S Jeffrey, c Taylor, b Riaz


K Gupta, b Riaz


R Higginson, b Riaz


E Lee, c Riaz, b Ridgeway


H Lee, b Ridgeway


P Edgington, b Ridgeway


J Lennon, lbw, b Ridgeway


B Sykes, lbw, b Ridgeway


R Carson, c Ridgeway, b Taylor


I Goddard, not out


A Humphrey, b Taylor






Best bowling: P Ridgeway 5-52, S Riaz 3-71, St Taylor 2-16.

HARPSDEN 2nds’ skipper Sasha Burgess won the toss and put LITTLE MARLOW into bat as the pitch had been covered due to a pre-game shower in their Division 3 encounter.

With the extravagant movement that both opening bowlers, Harry Williams and Rod Birkett, were getting, that seemed like the right call for the visitors.

Harry Williams made early inroads into the Little Marlow batting order, taking the first four wickets and at 41-4, and then 51-5 when Toby Stevens knocked out Hussan’s off stump, Harpsden were firmly on top.

Rod Birkett and Shazad Gulfraz took three wickets between them to put Little Marlow in more trouble at 116-8.

A sharp shower ensued and the game changed as the ball became slippery, and stopped moving around.

Islam made the most of this situation and scored an impressive 70 in a ninth wicket partnership with St Maur of 81. The introduction of Will Stevens, who took 2-5 in his 2.4 overs, was to turn the game back in Harpsden’s favour as the visitors were left with the task of chasing 199 to win in 54 overs.

Harpsden’s reply started badly as Sasha Burgess and Harry Williams both played across the line to straight ones from leg spinner Islam and it was left to Carl Pohl, initially with Matt Hand and then with Will Stevens, to consolidate.

Carl Pohl was playing a sensible innings, dispatching anything loose to the boundary and at 72-3 in the 21st over, Harpsden looked to be in a comfortable position. A combination of good bowling, some slightly injudicious shot selection and some good catching saw a complete middle order collapse and within five overs Harpsden had subsided to 78-7.

Toby Stevens joined 14-year-old Matt Stanley at the crease and they batted with good resolve to give the Harpsden reply an element of respectability, and the chance to pick up a few batting bonus points.

Stevens was caught well at mid-off after a well constructed 28 which left 15 overs for Matt Stanley and Shazad Gulfraz to bat. They knuckled down well and made some further progress towards extra batting points but after a 28 over vigil, for a well made 27 runs, Matt Stanley was caught off Hassan. This left Rod Birkett and Shazad Gulfraz 13 balls to survive or get the nine runs needed for an extra two batting points.

Gulfraz saw off the penultimate over which left Birkett with nine runs to get in the final over. A hook shot for four off the first ball gave some encouragement but he was bowled off the bottom edge next ball trying to repeat the shot as Little Marlow ran out winners.


A Mahmood, c J Stanley, b Williams


U Hassan, b Williams


A Sharif, b Williams


T Rashid, b Williams


F Hussan, b T Stevens


G Thistlewaite, c Burgess, b Birkett


A Austin, lbw, b Gulfraz


M Yaqoob, c Burgess, b Birkett


U Islam, c Cooper, b Stevens


A St Maur, b Stevens


M Wilson, not out






Best bowling: H Williams 4-43.


S Burgess, b Islam


C Pohl, c Islam, b Hassan


H Williams, b Islam


M Hand, lbw, b Sharif


W Stevens, c Hasan, b St Maur


M Cooper, b Hassan


J Stanley, c Yaqoob, b Hassan


M Stanley, c Rashid, b Hassan


T Stevens, c Ausitn, b Yaqoob


S Gulfraz, not out


R Birkett, b Hassan






Best bowling: U Hasan 5-28.

HURLEY 2nds drew their Division 4 clash at LITTLEWICK GREEN 2nds. Visiting skipper Nigel Haines called correctly and invited the hosts to bat first.

John Lucey’ reached 12 when Kuldeep Nothey pegged back the off stump and with Bill Green having his off stump shaved by Nothey, Littlewick Green found themselves on 20-2 after six overs.

A fine catch at gully by Josh Cole off Abdullah Ali saw Banerji depart at 40-3. A direct hit by Mo Basharat did for Nigel Middleton as the batsman’s dive was not enough to save him after being sent back by Langley.

A sharp shower forced the players from the pitch and six overs were lost to the weather. At 49-4, the visitors had the upper hand, but poor catching let the opposition off the hook.

Andy Langley made the most of his luck as chances went begging in the deep. A partnership of 60 for the fifth wicket between Langley and Chris Leakey was ended when Basharat found the outside edge and Mike Walton did the rest behind the stumps.

Two balls later Basharat struck again to remove David Herron. Channi Sethi joined Langley in a stand of 72 to take the game away from Hurley before the return of Nothey got the breakthrough. Langley reached his century with a boundary off Nothey before falling to the next delivery.

Jack Beckinsale played across the line to his first ball to give Nothey his fifer and leaving Fred Herbert to face the hat-trick ball which he safely defended. A further five runs were added as Littlewick Green finished on 206-9.

In reply Hurley took a cautious approach sending out the Walton brothers to open the innings and they batted with determination not to lose their wickets as runs were few and far between.

Littlewick used seven bowlers in an attempt to force a breakthrough and it was Subir Chanerji with his first delivery who got one through Dave Walton’s defences in the 20th over. By the drinks break, Mike Walton and Abdullah Ali had advanced the score to 32.

After the break, the batsmen looked to try and accelerate with the aim of gaining some batting points as victory looked well beyond them. The return of 14-year-old James Beckinsale turned the tide for Littlewick as he bowled Walton, beaten in the flight as he advanced down the track and this precipitated a collapse as Hurley lost four wickets for 14 runs with Beckinsale doing most of the damage.

A partnership of 30 in four overs between Nothey and Yasir Gul helped steady the ship before Beckinsale struck again to have Nothey stumped by Green. The next over saw Gul lbw to Leakey, offering no shot to leave the visitors teetering on the brink at 97-7 with five overs remaining.

Twelve-year-old Liam Cole and Jeff Dawson negotiated the remaining overs to see Hurley to 122-7.


J Lucey, b Nothey


B Green, b Nothey


S Banerji, c J Cole, b Ali


A Langley, b Nothey


N Middleton, run out


C Leakey, c M Walton, b Basharat


D Herron, b Basharat


C Sethi, b Nothey


J Hesom, not out


J Beckinsale, b Nothey


F Herbert, not out




TOTAL (9 wkts)


Best bowling: K Nothey 5-25, M Basharat 2-30.


M Walton, b Beckinsale


D Walton, b Banerji


A Ali, lbw, b Beckinsale


J Cole, c Leakey, b Beckinsale


Y Gul, lbw, b Leakey


M Basharat, c Langley, b Becksinale


K Nothey, st Green, b Beckinsale


L Cole, not out


J Dawson, not out




TOTAL (7 wkts)


Best bowling: J Beckinsale 5-46.

More News:

POLL: Have your say