Monday, 14 June 2021

Griffiths’ half century helps side to first win

HENLEY 2nds won their first Division 1 match of the season at the Brakspear Ground last Saturday against a

HENLEY 2nds won their first Division 1 match of the season at the Brakspear Ground last Saturday against a DATCHET side that included Kiwi test player Mark Gillespie.

Losing the toss and being put into field. Griffiths made the breakthrough before the change bowlers applied the brakes on Datchet’s innings. Kazmi and Iqval were greeted by Gillespie by watching their first few balls disappear over the rope but a good catch by Bezuidenhout on the boundary ended the visitors’ hopes of a big total.

Wickets fell and the runs dried up as Datchet finished on 140 all out with Griffiths and Kazmi snaring four wickets each.

In reply Smith and Oldershaw saw off Gillespie who was bowling good pace and swing. Former Henley stalwart Tom Lambert came into the attack and took two wickets before Griffiths and Furber steadied the ship.

Trying to accelerate the run rate, Furber fell but Griffiths and Gurung saw Henley over the line for the loss of three wickets, with Griffiths finishing on 53 not out.

KIDMORE END eventually had to hold out for a draw at CHISWICK AND LATYMER in Division 2B.

The visitors won the toss and elected to field. James Frost bowled 15 overs unchanged for 39 runs, including six maidens, but was not rewarded with a wicket, whilst opening partner Jeff Sheldon also bowled 15 overs without rest for 52 runs snaring two wickets for his efforts.

At 30 overs the hosts had eked out 90 runs. With a change of bowling the Chiswick and Latymer batting duo of Janjahira and Bhatia seized the initiative before the bowlers could settle. This produced a sudden upsurge in the scoring rate as 40 runs were added between overs 31 and 41.

Frost took a catch at square leg off ul-Wahab to remove Bhatia for 39 before Alex Crawford took a catch off his own bowling to remove Janjahira for 72. The hosts lost seven wickets for 46 runs in the last 11 overs of their innings, Kidmore’s star being ul-Wahab who took 5-49.

The hosts declared on 183 in the 51st over. Kidmore’s reply started well with opening pair Joe Dixon and Tom Sheldon putting on 50 for the first wicket before Dixon fell lbw.

Sheldon fell for 50 to an lbw decision before Janjahira took hold and the Kidmore run rate slowed down noticeably. Kidmore lost both Joe Waldron and Chris Sutton to lbw decisions as the pressure started to mount. Jeff Sheldon hit a six before he was caught for 40.

With 10 overs remaining Kidmore End were 125-5. The left-handed combination of Guy Ashby and Alex Crawford got the batting side back on track as they ran well between the wickets and struck the ball firmly to the boundary with well-timed sweep shots.

Kidmore End was chasing the total valiantly but the limited amount of time, slow wicket and accurate bowling of Janjahira meant the task was a tall one yet attainable as there were five overs remaining and 30 runs required. The loss of Ashby, David New and Wahab in quick succession meant the task had became harder.

Frost and Crawford came together as 20 runs were required off 23 balls with two wickets remaining. With the run out of Crawford (25), it was left to Berryman and Frost to see out the remaining eight balls.

HENLEY 3rds secured all 25 Division 3A points away at HAYES. Alex Price and Rob Kenworthy opened for Henley and put on 85 against a tight Hayes bowling attack. The first wicket fell as Price was caught on 46 and Kenworthy was given out lbw for 41 soon after. Nick Johnson and Dan Hayden made 23 and 29 respectively. Nathan Hopkins, Jeremy Palmer and Waqaz Khan all made quick runs at the end of the innings to take Henley to 206-9 off 52 overs.

Henley chose to take the old ball as leg spinners Sam Ranger and Tom Chappell restricted Hayes well. After a running error Chappell got the early breakthrough Henley wanted by running out Hayes’ opener Green for 12.

Chappell took another wicket soon after as S Morgan spooned one up to Hayden for a straightforward catch.

The new ball was taken by Henley and Hayden used it well to claim another two wickets. A change of bowling brought Nick Johnson on to bowl who took two wickets with the last two balls of his first over.

Hopkins, who had been brought on at the other end, managed to take a wicket with the first ball of the next over with the help of a sharp catch from Chappell, giving Henley a team hat-trick.

With another wicket for both Hopkins and Johnson, who finished with figures of 4-3 off two overs, it fell to Waqaz Khan to finish Hayes off on 128 all out.

WARGRAVE picked up their first Division 4B win of the season at home to READING 3rds.

The visitors won the toss and batted first but found scoring runs hard to come by as they were dismissed for 121 with J Clark taking 6-52. In reply A Woods hit 70 as Wargrave eased to 125-2 to secure 20 league points.

KIDMORE END 2nds eased to a comfortable Division 6B victory at home to FARNHAM ROYAL 3rds.

The visitors won the toss and put the hosts into bat first at Gallowstree Common.

Opener M New was dismissed lbw by a short delivery from G Sahdra. C Livingstone-Smith combined well with the other opener C Pigden to accumulate a partnership of 74 before Pigden missed a straight one from A Akram.

Former first team captain P Butler scored a quick 25 which included three fours and a six before being bowled by A Burgess.

Three overs later Livingstone-Smith was dismissed for 49, caught and bowled. A Holland was caught in the outfield for five off Akram’s bowling. R Frost and D Eley manufactured a useful partnership before Frost was bowled.

D Eley and S Berry took the hosts past the 200 mark in the 49th over. In the final over of the innings Eley lashed out at the ball unsuccessfully, chipping it high in the air for a catch off Sahdra’s bowling. The hosts finished their innings on 220-7.

In reply the visitors found scoring runs hard to come by as both M Jones and P Butler took four wickets each and the visitors were dismissed for 110 runs.

HENLEY 4ths drew their Division 7B game against AMERSHAM 3rds at Nettlebed in a match that saw Chris Johnson take five wickets for the hosts.

Amersham won the toss and elected to bat. Henley’s opening attack of Withers and Brabham started well but openers Tilbury and Player hit through the ball and accumulated runs quickly until Wither bowled Tilbury.

Taylor missed an opportunity to dismiss Player at leg gully but the introduction of Chris Johnson had the right impact with Dennison taking a good catch to dismiss C Tilbury before Peter Head took a diving catch to his left, holding a good shot from Player.

With Henley applying the pressure it was Parry who held fast while others came and went. During this period Head took another fine low diving one-handed catch at short mid-wicket.

Young colt Hugo Lane was thrown the ball just after lunch and his spell of six overs helped turn the pressure up further with Parry and Rogers falling to his right-arm medium.

At 120-8 Henley were looking to close out the innings quickly but Lansdowne and Sritharan had other ideas and with lots of overs remaining they dug in and accumulated runs. Lansdowne punished anything full and together they put on 60 to give Amersham 186 on a slow wicket and outfield. Johnson finished with figures of 5-37.

Henley’s reply did not start well as Neville was bowled early on but with the help of extras the hosts started to accumulate runs.

Oldershaw and Dennison fell to a couple of good deliveries to leave Henley on 44-3.

Alex Johnson and Brabham began to rebuild the innings until Brabham was bowled by Allum. Johnson continued to build his innings and with Taylor Henley needed 49 to win from 10 overs with six wickets remaining.

Johnson hit a high full toss to cover who took the catch while Withers fell in the same over giving the momentum back to Amersham.

When Taylor fell it was left to the remaining batsmen to see the game out. The game ended in a last over with one wicket remaining but Chappell and Johnson held out.

Division 8B league leaders WARGRAVE 2nds continued their fine start to the season with victory at DATCHET 4ths.

The hosts lost the toss and were put into bat first and quickly dismissed for 98 from 31 overs. In response Wargrave eased to 101-1 from 16.3 overs.

KIDMORE END 3rds maintained pole position in Division 9A thanks to C Clark hitting an unbeaten century to help his side to victory at TEDDINGTON TOWN 3rds.

The hosts put on 229-9 from their allotted overs. Kidmore End reached 232-6 to win the game in 40.4 overs.

More News:

POLL: Have your say