Monday, 02 August 2021

Waldron’s knock not enough as table-toppers lose out on travels

A KNOCK of 82 by Nicholas Johnson was not enough as Division 1 basement side HENLEY 2nds slipped to an

A KNOCK of 82 by Nicholas Johnson was not enough as Division 1 basement side HENLEY 2nds slipped to an eight-wicket defeat at home against relegation rivals HIGH WYCOMBE 2nds.

The Brakspear Ground side won the toss and elected to bat first but lost wickets cheaply. Number five batsman Johnson hit eight fours and two sixes before being bowled out. Henley ended their innings on 182.

In reply High Wycombe eased to victory as they eased past the required total with the loss of just two wickets.

Division 2B league leaders KIDMORE END suffered their second defeat of the season as they lost out at ALDERSHOT.

Kidmore skipper Jeff Sheldon lost the toss and saw his side put into bat first. Kidmore openers Joe Dixon and Joe Waldron got the team off to a good start as the new ball raced to the boundary.

From 10 overs 53 runs were scored before Dixon was caught for 26. David New continued the fast scoring as he scored 23 good runs with some good drives.

Abi ul-Wahab batting with a runner after he pulled his hamstring, also scored rapidly, as he struck many good boundaries as well as a six over long on before he fell in his 20s.

The pick of the batting was Waldron who hit 82 runs in an innings that included 13 fours. When he was out in the 39th over the score was 162-4.

Spinners A Wameed and N Ahmed slowed the scoring by taking the pace off the ball. Despite the best efforts of the lower order the run rate could not accelerate to the point of helping Kidmore to an imposing total as they closed on 202-8.

Aldershot’s response started quickly but also cost wickets. James Frost took two early wickets, including a caught and bowled.

Home skipper Baig and N Ahmed put on a third wicket partnership of 93 that would prove to be match winning.

Despite bowling accurately, turning the ball, Crawford could not take the wickets needed, due to the nature of the pitch, which was getting slower and slower as the sun baked it.

Crawford ended with figures of 21-3-68-2, Frost bowled 13-3-53-2 but neither could break a hole in the Aldershot middle order.

There was a late flurry of wickets, Jeff Sheldon also picked up two, but it was too little too late for Kidmore and the Aldershot batsmen saw their side home with nine balls to spare winning by four wickets.

HENLEY 3rds lost out at home to PURLEY in Division 3A. Winning the toss and batting first, Henley found scoring runs difficult and were dismissed for just 114 off just 33.1 overs. In reply Purley cruised to victory hitting 115-2 in just 21.1 overs.

In Division 4B hosts WARGRAVE lost out to THEALE AND TILEHURST.

Winning the toss the visitors elected to bat first and posted 239 runs all out.

In reply Wargrave fell short of their target as they were bowled out for 222 with E Webb top scoring with 66.

KIDMORE END 2nds settled for a losing draw in their home match with THATCHAM TOWN 3rds in Division 6B.

Thatcham won the toss and elected to bat first and put on 258-7.

In reply Kidmore End fell short of the required target as they posted 203-8 with R Shaw top scoring with 58 and R Dixon 55.

A youthful HENLEY 4ths side ran out five-wicket winners at BURNHAM 4ths in Division 7B.

The visitors, who included four players under 15, lost the toss and were put into field first.

Brabham and Harris White bowled tidily but without luck on a good wicket and fast outfield on what was a day for spinners.

After the opening pace attack with Chris Johnson using his experience to trouble the openers Pratley joined the attack with his left arm spin. Pratley made the breakthrough with Laing taking a catch at point before Johnson had Khan caught behind by Ward.

Wickets were falling at regular intervals and with the introduction of Rogers, replacing Johnson, Henley continued to maintain the pressure.

Rogers took two quick wickets to push home the advantage but Rahman and Williams started the recovery and accumulated runs quickly having measured up both Pratley and Rogers.

With runs coming quickly Henley made a change bringing on Laing who put his mark of the game with a wicket with his second delivery, removing Williams. He hit the stumps two more times in quick succession to bring the innings to a close and set the visitors a target of 161 to win.

Ward and Hopkins opened for Henley and both looked comfortable before being bowled by Sayed and Williams respectively.

Rogers and Oldershaw started to rebuild the innings before Rogers hit a short ball to square leg. Oldershaw was next out lbw with a low ball from Williams.

With Alex Harris White going first ball Henley were in trouble at 81-5. There was a big shout for lbw on William’s hat-trick ball, but thereafter Brabham and Taylor stood resolute and kept the scoreboard moving.

Brabham, with the support of Taylor saw Henley triumph in just 11 overs.

Division 8B league leaders WARGRAVE 2nds eased to a comfortable victory at CHESHAM 4ths.

The hosts batted first and were bowled out for just 124. In reply Wargrave eased to 125-1 to win the match by nine wickets.

KIDMORE END 3rds moved 31 points clear at the top of Division 9A after winning at CHISWICK AND LATYMER with only 10 players.

Kidmore captain Ed Waldron won the toss and elected to bat. The Kidmore innings began with openers Waldron and Dan Cook getting off to a steady start, before Waldron was dismissed lbw.

Michael Perchard scored some runs before a mix up between himself and Cook let to him being run out for 2. Paul Logan was dismissed for 0, bowled Jasperat, to leave the visitors on 21-3.

Ryan Latter and Dan Cook steadied the ship. The pair put on 50 before Latter was dismissed for 23, attempting to sweep Jasperat with the ball heading straight up in the air to be caught by the Chiswick keeper.

Stephen Payne despatched any bad ball to the boundary. Along with Cook the pair moved the total past 100 in the 28th over. Cook was the first to get past 50, followed soon after by Payne who had hit 10 boundaries.

The total moved to 187 before Cook was finally removed for 68. Webster joined Payne and the pair helped the score to 213 before Payne was out for 82. Kidmore finished on 222.

Beddow decided to take the old ball and open with spin, turning to Payne and Waldron for his first bowl of the season.

The pair started well, putting the openers under pressure but Payne started to lose his length and opener Jasperat punished him.

Waldron bowled a testing length before removing Gover after an over the shoulder catch by skipper Beddow.

After 10 overs of spin, captain Beddow decided to take the new ball with Latter and Webster once again applying the pressure.

Latter bowled a tight line and length, giving the batsman limited opportunities to score. Webster removed Sarti after a tidy slip catch from Payne diving to his left.

Soon after Webster removed opener Jasperat. Beddow picked up a wicket with his first ball, bowling Vikram for 24. Waldron was the next to strike, bowled Pawan for 17.

Waldron then struck twice in one over, first dismissing Ravi, lbw for 7 and then two balls later, picking up his fourth removing Gurpit after a catch from Webster at short mid-wicket.

Chiswick were now under pressure as Beddow picked up his second wicket, again bowling Ishaq for 0.

Beddow withdrew himself from the attack reintroducing Latter to bowl in tandem with Waldron. Latter struck his first over of his secnd spell, bowling Josh for 11. Latter finished off the Chiswick innings removing captain Harris for 9.

More News:

POLL: Have your say