Wednesday, 04 August 2021

Watts knock helps to put Peppard in clear

WHAT started as a grim day with the ever-present threat of abandonment, brightened considerably to deliver a six-wicket win

WHAT started as a grim day with the ever-present threat of abandonment, brightened considerably to deliver a six-wicket win for PEPPARD over WOODCOTE.

Woodcote won the toss and chose to bat in what appeared to be a good decision as openers Mark Pearson and Will MacDonald added 56 for the opening stand in 13 overs.

That was, however, until Andy Watts dismissed Pearson for a patient 15 off 40 balls.

MacDonald, once again prolific this season, provided the backbone of the innings with 111 from 103 deliveries, including 12 fours and three sixes, until stumped by Gerry Bacon off Ashley Hayden.

Surprisingly, the remaining batting crumbled to an all-out 188 off 41 overs, Ashley Hayden being pride of the bowlers with 3-35.

Despite losing an opener early, Peppard’s second wicket partnership of captain Andy Watts and Richard Walker (50), now recovered from injury, added 99 runs in 17 overs.

Sensible contributions from Ashley Hayden (18) and Tim Vines (11 not out) ably supported Watts’ 82 not out off 142 balls with only 10 fours in his golden summer to see Peppard home to victory and avenge the earlier season defeat.

PEPPARD 2nds match against SONNING 3rds almost turned into a one-man show with Thua making 127 before being bowled by Legg.

Shaker also made 31 as the home side reached 210. With the game not having started until 2pm it was reduced to 32 overs per side. Mayers took two wickets.

Peppard started their innings in poor light and they soon lost wickets with opener Ackerman going for a duck and Hall out for six.

That was before captain Legg hit a quick 60, with two sixes and nine fours before he was bowled out by Shaker.

Hern hit 11 and Woolfrey managed 26 before he was caught and bowled by Obibirqilhan.

By the end Peppard had reached 124-8 in their 32 overs for a draw.

CHECKENDON conceded their Premier League match against WOODLEY as they were unable to raise a team, while the match between BCS GROSVENOR and STOKE ROW was abandoned after 11 overs with Stoke Row on 102-2.

STRATFIELD TURGIS ran up a total of 221-4, including 102 from Steve Clarke and 54 from James Wright before bowling out GORING for 138.

HURLEY prevailed in a low-scoring, rain-affected encounter against long-standing rivals LITTLE MARLOW at Shepherds Lane.

Going into this match, only four points separated the two teams in Division 2, and the batsmen of both teams had put the opposition bowlers to the sword in their previous fixture.

In this match, however, batting was difficult, but it was the experienced Steve Taylor who laid the foundations of victory.

Captain Phil Ridgeway invited the visitors to bat and Naeem Akhtar and Mike Cole bowled from the Farm end.

The Little Marlow innings was founded on a first-wicket stand of 47 in 15 overs between Anwar Mahmood and Dave Glennerster.

Thereafter Marlow lost wickets regularly, and Cole showed a welcome return to form with four late wickets.

Ridgeway wrapped up the Marlow innings by having Zain Gill adjudged lbw.In reply, with regular opener David Simoes absent, Ridgeway dropped himself down the order and promoted the middle-order batsmen.

Yaqoob and Adnan Rehman made early inroads, and the hosts soon found themselves four wickets down on 19 in the sixth over.

Taylor came to the crease with the score on nine, and added 42 in 13 overs. In all Taylor helped add 88 in 27 overs and was the last wicket to fall.

Victory for Hurley was completed by Cole, who played a shot to the off-side for a single..

The third meeting of the season between HOLYPORT 2nds and HURLEY 2nds was ruined by the weather.

Play started 18 minutes late due to persistent rain and Mike Walton called correctly and in asking the hosts to bat. Parvinder Hunjan was unable to find any consistency bowling at the left-handed opening pair and the score- board rattled along in excess of five an over. From the pavilion end, Imran Arshad bowled round the wicket into the damp patch outside the left-handers’ off stump and caused both batsmen some problems, passing the outside edge on numerous occasions without finding the edge.

Scott Taylor replaced Hunjan and bowled frugally to help peg back the run rate.

Arshad was rested after conceding only 16 runs from his eight over spell and replaced by the diminutive David Morgans. Morgans kept up the pressure on the batsmen, proving difficult to get away off the slow pitch.

For Holyport, Mark Francis (57, not out) played the major role, combining solid defence and a little good fortune with some well-timed attacking strokes to bring up his 50 not out.

During the drinks break, light drizzle turned to rain and the players eventually left the field in the 29th over, each side taking five points from a frustrating afternoon.

WARGRAVE prevailed in a friendly against HURLEY.

Mike Walton won the toss and opted to bat. Due to late arrivals, the batting order was shuffled and the Morgans went out to open.

The openers put on 44 for the first wicket in 11 overs. David (4) was the first to go, while dad Alan (37) followed three overs later. Another father and son partnership between Stephen (47) and Cameron Wright (5) added 55 with Hurley ending on 167 for eight.

Hurley made a good attempt at defending a below-par total. Hunjan (0-37) and Kayani (2-38) bowled tightly, conceding only four runs from the first four overs.Mike Hatty (24) and Dave Jeary (22) saw their side to the brink of victory before Scott Taylor (1-20) trapped Hatty leg before. Jeary and Jack Clark (8) knocked off the 11 runs for victory.

More News:

POLL: Have your say