WHILE having lunch at the Crooked Billet restaurant in Stoke Row recently, I witnessed something of a drama.
Two women were sitting at a table at the back of the building when they decided to move outside.
Unfortunately, they left their napkins too close to a lighted candle and these caught light. None of the other diners, myself included, knew anything about this until another pair of women sitting nearby rushed over to the vacated table and plunged the burning napkins into a jug of water.
Some of the waiting staff then arrived to discover what had happened and were urged by other diners to reward the heroines. Shortly afterwards, the women were brought a glass of fizz each.
They seemed delighted at this and, clinking their glasses, one said: “I think this is going to be a good day!”