FOUNDED by Cardinal John Henry Newman on May 1, 1858, the Oratory Preparatory School, including the
FOUNDED by Cardinal John Henry Newman on May 1, 1858, the Oratory Preparatory School, including the pre-preparatory department, is a Catholic day and boarding school for just over 400 boys and girls aged two to 13.
It traces its lineage to its affiliated school, the all-boys The Oratory School, located nearby.
Today the prep school is a separate entity from its brother school. Both are part of the Oratory Schools Association and share a chair of governors.
The prep school moved to its current site in 1969 and is located in 60 acres of grounds, amidst open countryside and woodland overlooking the Thames Valley, close to Reading.
The “prep” part of the school begins in year three, as the children move on from pre-prep and some new pupils join the children. There are usually three classes in each year group from year three to year eight, when the majority of pupils move on to the senior school.
We aim to provide a full and rewarding education within our school community by cultivating wide interests and individual gifts in a happy, relaxed atmosphere. While academic success is at the heart of what we are trying to achieve through the basic curriculum of the core and foundation subjects of the national curriculum, it is through the whole school curriculum, which consists of every activity planned by the school, that we hope to prepare our pupils in the broadest possible sense.