FIREFIGHTERS prevented a thatched cottage in Cuxham being badly damaged by a blaze.
They were called to the house at about 6.30pm on Tuesday and spent two hours tackling the fire.
Seven fire engines from Henley, Wallingford, Thame and Abingdon arrived at the property where smoke was billowing from the ground floor.
Eight firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire, which was caused by an open fire in the living room that had been left unattended.
A water carrier, incident support unit, control unit, rescue tender and aerial ladder platform also attended.
Station manager Bob Speakman said: “This unfortunate incident could have been far worse had the fire taken hold of the thatched roof.
“As it was, the right resources were put in place and quick intervention by crews prevented the spread of fire from the living room.
“I am convinced that given a few more minutes left unchecked, the fire would have spread to the roof and caused extensive damage.”
He urged householders with open fires to use a guard and to have a working smoke alarm.