Tuesday, 16 October 2018

Clark suffers broken leg as Kites’ losing run continues

HENLEY TOWN were reduced to eight men as they crashed to defeat at home to

HENLEY TOWN were reduced to eight men as they crashed to defeat at home to Royal Wootton Bassett in last Saturday’s Hellenic League Premier Division encounter in a match that saw referee David Cox issue the Red Kites seven yellow and three red cards.

The hosts started brightly with high intensity pressing and an all out attack approach as they created several early chances, the best of which saw Nile O’Meally run through and square the ball to left winger Ben Blackwell who blazed over the bar.

The Red Kites then picked up the first of their two yellow cards in the space of three minutes. The first was given to Dan Davies on 21 minutes for a rash challenge that prevented a counter attack and the second soon after for Ben Blackwell for clipping an attacker after he had gone past him.

Wootton Bassett went close to taking the lead before Henley defender Callum Carlisle cleared the ball away. Soon after Grant Kemp saw his shot from outside the box go narrowly side.

Three minutes before the interval Matthew Cheetham picked up a yellow card for the visitors following a foul on Ben Clark. Following an even start to the second half Henley were reduced to 10 men on 51 minutes when left back Jordan Goddard was shown red for an aggressive tackle whilst going up for a header.

Two minutes later Henley captain Ben Clark picked up his side’s third yellow card of the match.

The Red Kites went close to taking the lead when Nile O’Meally headed to Grant Kemp who headed goal bound only to be denied by a good save from the Wootton Bassett keeper.

On the hour mark Henley were reduced to nine men. Tom Hogan was yellow carded for a foul on a Wootton Bassett attacker which Blackwell protested to the referee about and in turn he received his second yellow of the match and was subsequently sent off.

Two minutes later the visitors made their numerical advantage count as Stephen Robertson fired his side into the lead.

Five minutes later Henley were reduced to eight men and the visitors awarded a penalty. A shot came across the Henley goal and Brad Hoy, with his hands by his side, turned his body and appeared to block the shot but the referee deemed this to be handball and a spot kick was awarded and Hoy was shown a red card. Terence Bohane converted from the penalty spot.

Henley pulled a goal back when Jack Thomson-Wheeler curled a shot into the far corner of the goal after a neat bit of play down the left side.

The hosts then made a substitute with Chris Nelson replacing Clark but three minutes after coming on the substitute picked up another yellow card.

Nile O’Meally was then replaced by Patrick Gardner for Henley to push to get the equaliser but this was not to be as Wootton Bassett scored a third in the 77th minute through Sam Packer.

Patrick Gardner picked up another yellow card for the hosts two minutes later and seven minutes from time the Red Kites brought on Liam Tindell for Grant Kemp.

Henley Town: Andrew Nunn, Callum Carlisle, Jordan Goddard, Tom Hogan, Bradley Hoy, Dan Davies, Ben Blackwell, Jack Thomson-Wheeler, Nile O’Meally, Ben Clark, Grant Kemp. Substitutes: Chris Nelson, Liam Tindell, Patrick Gardner.

HENLEY TOWN forward Ben Clark was taken to hospital with a fractured leg as the Red Kites lost for the fourth game in a row on Tuesday.

Clark, who replaced injured Grant Kemp with the side already 3-1 down at home to Brackley Town Saints in their Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division clash, was stretchered off after a strong tackle.

The striker was taken by ambulance to the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading where he spent the night but it emerged he does not require an operation on the fracture.

Nile O’Meally had put Henley in the lead in the 25th minute but Brackley equalised just six minutes later through striker Matt Hammond before Matt Johnson fired past home keeper Ben Hitchens from 25 yards to give the visitors a half-time lead. Brackley were passing the ball well and extended the lead five minutes after the break as Hammond grabbed his second goal, before the game ended under a shadow after Clark’s injury.

The result leaves Henley Town second from bottom in the league table after losing all three of their matches this season as well as making an early exit from this season’s FA Cup competition.

Speaking after the match Red Kites’ manager Gerry McGinty said: “I thought it was the poorest we’ve played this season but we still went 1-0 up.

“We looked comfortable until they scored and after that we couldn’t recover. It took the wind out of our sails.”

Henley Town: Ben Hitchens, Mitch Cooper, Tom Hogan, Bradley Hoy, Jordan Goddard; Grant Kemp, Jack Thomson-Wheeler, Dan Davies, Callum Carlisle, Patrick Gardner, Nile O’Meally. Substitutes: Ben Clark, James Griffiths, Chris Nelson, Liam Tindell, Ben Blackwell.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say