Friday, 19 October 2018

Tucker scores twice and sets up another in win

SAM TUCKER scored a brace and provided an assist as WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW eased past TAPLOW UNITED

SAM TUCKER scored a brace and provided an assist as WOODCOTE/STOKE ROW eased past TAPLOW UNITED on Saturday.

But they went into the game missing eight squad members, including inspirational captain Jim Hancock and both their usual goalkeepers.

Darren Russell donned the gloves for the afternoon while nursing an injury and Mike Butcher took the armband for his first game as captain at the club.

The game started well with Woodcote continuing where they left off in their last two games, creating plenty of chances through Jake Dillon, Toby Nowell and Frank Dillon, but not converting.

However, in the 23rd minute Jake Dillon carried the ball well down the right, beating the fullback and delivering a perfect cross to Sam Tucker who swivelled well before caressing the ball nicely into the corner of the net for 1-0.

From there Woodcote continued to create without success, which is where Taplow capitalised.

A direct pass in behind found the back four square, and a Taplow forward went through to slot home well for 1-1. Shortly after another mistake at the back saw Woodcote give a needless free kick away on the edge of the box. Taplow punished the mistake with a perfectly placed free kick into the top-right-hand corner. Woodcote still had a chance to go in all square at half-time but Jake Dillon missed a golden opportunity when he found himself one on one, only to fire his shot straight at the keeper.

Following some stern words from the manager, the second half started well. Two minutes in, and a corner was headed back to Sam Tucker who crossed for Jonny Summers to convert well at near post to make it 2-2.

This settled Woodcote down and in the 53rd minute, Toby Nowell showed great skill on the left, beating two Taplow defenders before squaring a gave Woodcote the lead at 3-2.

At this point Taplow certainly weren’t out of it but Woodcote were still dominating the game. On 89 minutes, a free kick was awarded 30 yards out.

Frank Dillon’s shot was parried leaving Toby Nowell with a tap-in to make the final score 4-2.


Rotherfield conceded in the eighth minute with striker Adam King making no mistake. But Kieron Penglase equalised after 25 minutes to make it 1-1 at the break.

After the re-start the tight contest was settled in the 81st minute when Luke Blakebrough found the net to seal the win.

• Woodcote Stoke Row and Rotherfield United were both in action on Wednesday night.

Woodcote defeated Newbury FC 4-0 and Rotherfield drew 2-2 with Mortimer.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say