Tuesday, 23 October 2018

Earl’s treble helps side progress

JACK Earl netted a hat-trick as AFC HENLEY U16s eased into the second round of the

JACK Earl netted a hat-trick as AFC HENLEY U16s eased into the second round of the East Berks Cup after beating FRIMLEY GREEN U16s 6-0 at Harpsden on Saturday.

A competitive first half with Frimley pressing in midfield meant Henley found it difficult to dominate possession and build attacks.

A number of chances to take the lead was created but not capitalised on by the home side. Frimley forced a number of corners which Henley defended well and this gave the hosts opportunities to counter-attack. It was from quick forward play that Earl scored a brace with two emphatic finishes to give the hosts a 2-0 half-time lead. In the second half Henley’s support play improved and the better movement and passing into areas behind the Frimley back four created a greater amount of ball possession and, consequently, more goal-scoring opportunities.

Earl completed his hat-trick with further goals from James Goulden and two for Alex Aldrich which saw Henley progress to the next round. Archie Thatcher was unfortunate to hit the woodwork twice while Harry Green had an outstanding game showing good awareness and range of passing from midfield.

AFC Henley U16s: Henry Harmer, Jack Lambourne, Ryan Lynskey, Emil Rayfield, David Lama, Harry Roe, Joe Neighbour, Harry Green, Alex Aldrich, Jack Earl, Archie Thatcher, Harman Sondh, James Goulden, Sean O’Hara, Max Gosby.

AFC HENLEY HURRICANES U10s suffered their first defeat of the season as they went down 3-1 at the hands of Division A side HAWLEY RAIDERS U10s in the cup at Jubilee Park.

The Hurricanes started well and went close on a couple of occasions through Tom Bonser and Nicolai Bruun-Andersen.

Hawley pressed for the opening in the first quarter and Ben Horner in the home goal pulled off some good saves as no team could find the back of the net.

It was in the second quarter that Hawley took the lead. As the ball came into the Henley box it took a deflection and found its way into the back of the net.

The Hurricanes almost hit back immediately as Tom Yeoman worked his way into space only to blaze over from five yards out.

The Hurricanes paid the ultimate price for this missed chance as they went 2-0 down on the stroke of half-time as Hawley sliced their way through the Hurricanes back line.

Luca Thomson and Joe Turner were back in control of the defence in the third quarter and were looking assured and confident at the back as they snuffed out all that was thrown at them.

It was again against the run of play that Hawley scored their third with a well-taken goal.

The Hurricanes refused to lie down and scored early on in the fourth quarter to set up a barnstorming finish.

Olly Saunders and Sam Winters worked tirelessly in midfield, and it was the latter who set up Tom Yeoman who went on a mazy run leaving defenders trialling in his wake before beating the keeper from seven yards out.

Henley continued to attack the Hawley goal with Tom Atkinson’s delivery from corners causing problems but they were unable to find another goal.

More News:

Latest video from

VIDEO: Tributes paid after rugby player's death

POLL: Have your say